Friday, January 22, 2010

Ugh

Will is sick again. It's just a cold, but gah.

He has sinus issues. We found out in December that he has enlarged adenoids and some structural issues with his sinuses. The adenoids are so enlarged that they are keeping his sinuses from developing properly and he had the "worst, most massive sinus infection I have seen in my entire practice" (that's a quote from his pediatric allergist after she reviewed the CT-scan). She wasn't sure from reading the scan whether the damage to his sinuses was caused by the adenoids or the infection. We put Will on a three week course of antibiotics (even with acidophilus and boatloads of active culture yogurt, the diapers have been unimaginable) and nasal corticosteroids. He has a follow up CT-scan and that will determine how things are progressing once the infection is cleared. If the adenoids are still causing issues, they will have to come out.

All of this was discovered because of his perma-stuff that started in September and continuous sinus infections since he was five months old. Oh, and his snorning. And my mothers' intuition that something wasn't quite right.

In November and December, he was so stuffed, he stopped eating, lost weight, and that's when we finally got the CT-scan that diagnosed the sinus infection. After three days on the antibiotics, he was "back." He was not really grumpy or out of sorts when he was sick (which the doctor said was remarkable, considering how much pain he must have been in from his sinuses), but he was like Super Charged, Big Eating Will again.

It was nice to have him, sick-free, for a few weeks. Now, colds will happen, and it's truly not a big deal. He only has a very lowgrade fever and clear nasal discharge, he's not congested the way that he used to get.

Being a mom is wonderful, but it's tough when your kiddos are sick. When we were going to appointments, strapping down him down for xrays and CT-scans, having to block out his screams of protests and whimpers of fear, I had a very small glimpse into the world of what parents with seriously ill children must go through. In fact, I told M as we rode down one elevator ride on the way to another appointment, that I don't know how those parents do it. I know, I know. They just do. They have to, they have no choice. But you know, I mean, really how do they do it? It breaks my heart to even think about it, because I know there are parents out there going through it right now. It sure puts things in perspective.

5 comments:

Red said...

It does put things in perspective when your kid is even a little bit sick. I hope he gets better soon.

Mazzy said...

I hope he feels better soon. My best friend just had to go through having her 3 year old son's adenoids removed because he kept getting sick as well. It was not a big deal at all and he is feeling so much better!

Rebecca said...

"Ugh" is right! My sister had a similar issue and had her sinuses operated on when she was a teenager...something she's supposed to get done every 10 years or so...it helped a lot. I hope he can get some relief from it (and you too)!

Sunny said...

I am feeling for poor Will -- we have horrible sinuses in my family. My Dad and brother have it the worst, as they have asthma on top of it. I haven't heard of removing the adenoids, how wonderful if something could help!

Sunny said...

I am feeling for poor Will -- we have horrible sinuses in my family. My Dad and brother have it the worst, as they have asthma on top of it. I haven't heard of removing the adenoids, how wonderful if something could help!