Thursday, January 14, 2010

Boose

Will has a book called the "The Little Red Caboose." He calls it "Boose." He loves to read about the "Boose" and points it out eagerly on each page. He calls other trains "Choo Choos." Every night, when M gives him his tubby, they play with his tubby "Choo Choo." From all the way downstairs, I can hear "Choooooooooo Chooooooooo" in both Big and Little voices. It never fails to make me smile.

Today, on his way to work, M saw a red caboose sitting on the train tracks near his office. It had been there yesterday, too. He called me and suggested that I bring Will down so we could see the "boose" during his lunch hour (there is a parking lot right next to the tracks, so we could easily see the caboose).

We picked M up and drove to where the caboose had been sitting. . . just in time to see it pulling away! Luckily, it had to move slowly, seeing as it was going through the downtown area during the lunchtime traffic.

We followed the train, managed to get ahead of it, and I pulled over to the side of the road in a gravel turn out. We grabbed Will from the car and with seconds to spare, the train came slowly chugging by. The conductor blew the horn and a few cars later the Red Caboose rumbled past, a man on board waving and another horn toot just for us. Will's eyes were the size of saucers, he was enchanted. For the rest of the day, all he said was "Choo Choo" and "Boose."

Looking back, it was kind of crazy, literally chasing down a train, then parking just in time to see it. But watching the excitement in my son's face as he saw his first real "Boose"?

It was one of the best moments of my life.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Sounds like a "great Mom" moment to me!

Anonymous said...

I love it! Crazy what you'll do for your little babe, you know!?

Sunny said...

What a super cute story!! A memory you'll have for years to come, I'm sure.

And yes, as soon as I get the helping web site up, I'll send it to you. I still feel so up-in-the-air about what we need -- I'm not have good feelings about how long I'll last at home, and I'm not sure how long my mom will stay.

And PS, my mom and I had a great laugh watching Will go to town on his Mac and Cheese. I'm sure you can't wait to show that to his girlfriend some day. :)

Amy said...

damn girl, you should have brought your camera! Or called me! Love those moments! Don't miss the next one promise? Love ya!

Katie said...

Ha! There was barely enough time to grab the kiddo, let alone a camera! :)

But you can take my kid's picture whenever you want, just let me know the time and place! Love you, too!

Call me sometime! Now that you're WOTHM, we never get to talk!

Danifred said...

What a sweet, sweet moment!

Elise Ford said...

That actually made me tear up a bit!