Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Moms Are Crazy

There are days when I really feel like a Mom. Days when my kid is super sick, like last Friday, and I have to summon every inch of myself, tired or not, to the tasks at hand. Today, on the other hand, I felt like a Mom because when I got Will out of bed, I gingerly opened his diaper to find. . . a solid poo! Not runny, not green, not coming out of his diaper and necessitating an entire jammy and crib change, but solid. His appetite is also, albeit very slowly, returning.

These two things combined for me to do a Poo Poo Happy Dance around his room with him today. Yeah, how Mom-like is that? Or is it just plain crazy? I don't care. Shout it from the mountain tops, write it in the sky: We have a solid poopy!

Also, M went back to the doctor last night and has been diagnosed with acid reflux that is causing his chronic cough. It's cyclical, because it causes throat and sinus damage, too, which makes all of those areas more likely to be infected. It will take awhile for it to clear up completely, but he should notice a difference in a few weeks. This is also cause for celebration 'round these parts.

In kind of strange news, my SIL is pregnant. This is kind of a shocker as she is 39 and had kind of said she never wanted kids. Her longterm boyfriend is in his 50's and has two kids from his marriage and also said he was "done." I guess they were't really trying or preventing (which I guess means they were kind of sort of trying), but it'd been so long, and she didn't think she could get pregnant (some issues with her cervix and her age). Anyway, she is only 7 weeks pregnant and due in early January. It will be neat to have cousins so close in age and I am happy for her, though in a motherly way, I worry for her a bit. She and her boyfriend have a rocky relationship and she said he is "handling the pregnancy better" better than she thought he would, which to me is not exactly a winning endorsement. Now, he's a decent guy and a good father to the two he already has, but I can't imagine how hard it would be to have a baby and raise a child with someone not 100% on board.

Last piece of news. . . my BP was up at yesterday's appointment. As it's been really low, it's still in the normal range, but up enough points that my doctor was slightly concerned. I have to go back for another BP check tomorrow. I am hoping it was just a strange blip. My BP did go up at 34 weeks with Will, but I also had a lot of swelling and some protein in the urine, which was what caused my doctor to take me out of work, but it ended up being just fine. So, fingers crossed that it's nothing this time around, too.

7 comments:

Nicky said...

During my pregnancy with LL, my blood pressure was really low (actually, when not pregnant, it tends to be really low, too) until ~32 weeks, when it suddenly went up to the "normal" range. It was a sudden jump, but it was still within normal, and it never went any higher, even though I stayed pregnant until almost 42 weeks. If you have no other pre-e signs, the increased BP will hopefully be nothing to worry about. Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

That is funny about your sister in law. "congratulations, I guess" I have had that reaction to some pregnancies too.

HereWeGoAJen said...

I am so glad that everyone is on the mend!

kim said...

Sometimes people say they don't want kids when they think that they won't be able to. I had a sis-in-law like that. She didn't want anyone to feel sorry for her. I've also had friends, who when the clock is ticking and it might be their only or last chance to be a mother, are willing to go it alone if that is what happens. Hopefully things will turn out well for your sis-in-law and all your kids will be playmates one day. oh yeah, and yay for solid poop!

Laura said...

Congrats on the newest pregnancy. I'm betting the blood pressure issue is just because you've been extra busy with a sick kiddo and hubby. Hoping for low blood pressure again!

Searching said...

Hope the BP evens out and it was just due to all the stress. Glad things are a bit better in your house. I have that horrible reflux cough/hoarseness, too. Sometimes it feels like it is searing my throat. It def can cause major damage so it's good you guys caught it so he can get treated! Are you doing just lifestyle changes or meds, too? Prayers for your household's health!

Anonymous said...

Yipppeee for solid poopies!! Im doing a poop dance here for ya!!

I will be checking back tomorrow like a fiend to see how your BP check went!