Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The First Step

Thanks to everyone for their helpful insight. I think I'd have to be a moron not to be a little scared about the upcoming changes to our family. When it's the "first time around" you have no idea how much this little person is going to affect every single thing. This time, I am not so innocent.

I am still concerned about a lot, but I know that we will do it, just as every other family has done, is doing, and will continue to do. I will probably continue to vent about it here, which I hope doesn't offend anyone. I know we are blessed to be having the experience of adding a second child to our family, when so many people are still waiting on the miracle of our first. But this blog has always been my place to discuss how I am feeling. It is my outlet where I know I can get advice from real life experts - other parents in the trenches.

One thing that a comment mentioned is that I should get help if I have issues with post partum depression and anxiety again. While I agree that getting assistance is absolutely essential, I also have to refer to the old expression, "The first step is admitting that you have a problem." With Will, I thought I was prepared. I tacked a list of "Top Ten PPD Warning Signs" up on the 'fridge and told M to let me know if I experienced more than a few.

I had all but two of them. In the midst of it, though, I rationalized that it was "lack of sleep," that it would "pass," and everyone gets the "baby blues." While I am sure all of those are true enough and I started feeling better as time and sleep went on, I do think I could have benefited from some pharmacologic assistance.

So, I'll just ask you, my loyal friends and readers, to leave a supportive comment if you notice any warning signs in my posting. Last time, my obsession with Will's sleep and paralyizing anxiety were probably the two biggest signs, just as a head's up.

Thank you for walking this journey with me. I hope you know how much it means.

Edited: Here is the list I was referring to as well as a great site for information and resources on PPD/anxiety.

Top Ten Symptoms of Post Partum Depression

Source: National Institute of Mental Health

•Feeling restless or irritable.

•Feeling sad or crying a lot.

•Having headaches, chest pains, heart palpitations (the heart being fast and feeling like it is skipping beats), numbness, or hyperventilation (fast and shallow breathing).

•Not being able to sleep or being very tired, or both.

•Not being able to eat and weight loss OR overeating and weight gain.

•Trouble focusing, remembering, or making decisions.

•Being overly worried about the baby OR having no interest in the baby.

•Feeling worthless and guilty.

•Being afraid of hurting the baby or yourself.

•No interest or pleasure in activities, including sex.

Also, here is a good site with a lot of resources:

http://www.postpartum.net/

Also, good to have on hand:

When To Call Your Doctor

When to see a doctor:

■Don't fade after two weeks
■Are getting worse
■Make it hard for you to care for your baby
■Make it hard to complete everyday tasks
■Include thoughts of harming yourself or your baby

Getting early treatment for postpartum depression can speed your recovery.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel priveledged to get to accompany you on this wonderful journey! And I am here if you need help! You know how to reach me...WINK..

Rebecca said...

I'd love to see that list! I'm pretty sure I had it, but I don't see how you can avoid it (esp with twins like me)...it's all so hard!!! You're doing great and you're aware...being aware is the first part of the battle!!

Tracy said...

I'll keep an eye on ya, sister. Last time, I was going through it WITH you so I wouldn't have been a good judge, but now that I'm on an antidepressant and getting a good solid 8-9 hours of sleep every night, I should be a better judge. :)

Beth said...

I meant to comment on your last post, but time somehow always gets away from me... ;)

anyway, I'm hopeful for you that you might find yourself pleasantly surprised this time around with the post partum period (blues or depression) - based on your type of delivery with Will vs. with Emma. I think going in having a planned c/s, coupled with knowledge and parenthood experience are nothing but in your favor. I say that based on my experience - my first was emergency c/s unger general anesthesia, and my second was VBAC delivery where I was AWAKE! The PP period was night and day different!!
Definitely keep yourself (and have M collaborate) in check for PPD, but knowing this info going in, is powerful!

Regardless, you're going to do great! I think you're right to have a little bit of fear - it's respectful, and it's real, knowing that your family dynamic is about to shift in a major way. Only for the better, I assure you. It's going to be amazing!

Will & Emma are so blessed to have you as their Mommy.

HereWeGoAJen said...

Why don't you go in this time assuming that you will have trouble with PPD? Like make a note on your calendar right now to call the doctor like two weeks after she's born (or whenever makes sense to you). If you end up feeling great, you can always not do it, but this way it will at least be brought more immediately to your mind.

Anonymous said...

Would you mind posting the top ten signs of PPD in the comments? Thanks

Katie said...

Source: National Institute of Mental Health

The most common signs of postpartum depression include:

•Feeling restless or irritable.

•Feeling sad or crying a lot.

•Having headaches, chest pains, heart palpitations (the heart being fast and feeling like it is skipping beats), numbness, or hyperventilation (fast and shallow breathing).

•Not being able to sleep or being very tired, or both.

•Not being able to eat and weight loss OR overeating and weight gain.

•Trouble focusing, remembering, or making decisions.

•Being overly worried about the baby OR having no interest in the baby.

•Feeling worthless and guilty.

•Being afraid of hurting the baby or yourself.

•No interest or pleasure in activities, including sex.

Also, here is a good site with a lot of resources:

http://www.postpartum.net/

A New Beginning said...

I had PPD with my first child. I am due with the second Oct 1. I, like you, have been told that if you had it with the first one, you are more than likely to have it with the second.

I think my hardest part was admitting to someone some of the things I was feeling. I ended up telling the doctor and not my husband. I did not want my husband to see me as a failure (although he never did!)

Good luck to you and we will all be watching out for you.