Eight Random Facts About Me
1. I am scared of spiders, actually terrified. Three years ago, I was moving things from a storage unit to our garage, and a nest of eggs got into my car - and hatched. One morning, I got into the car and started driving. It was early and dark and I through my jacket was just itchy. Then, at a stop light, the glow of the red light revealed that my "itchies" were actually due to the swarm of baby spiders crawling ALL over me. I almost had a heart attack. I managed to drive the car to the nearest parking lot and then had to call over 20 exterminators before I found one that knew how to handle car infestations. It was probably the most disgusting thing that has ever happened to me.
2. I have a little brother who was born when I was 14. He is now a freshman in high school. We are very close. He was my world when he was a little baby. I used to rush home every day after school and play with him. Our relationship has changed a lot since then, especially now that we live three hours apart. But it has been so much fun being part of his life.
3. I LOVE to eat. It is my favorite activity. I also like to cook, although the clean up part isn't my strong suit. I like all sorts of foods, especially ethnic cuisine.
4. I would love to be a published author someday. I say published, because I have actually written several novels. I just don't know what to do with them. I think it has to do with the fear of being rejected. This is the only public forum that I have ever shared my writing in. And even this is nonfiction. I think that by keeping my novels private, I feel as if I can't get hurt if someone doesn't like them.
5. My favorite vacation spot is Cancun, Mexico. My husband and I went there on our honeymoon and have been fortunate enough to go back three times since. We are creatures of habit and usually stay at the same resort. It almost feels like our second home!
6. My husband and I are foster parents for Rescue Pup, a nonprofit dog rescue society near where we live. Our second furbaby was one of our foster pups and we have had him since he was three weeks old. Our other two furry kids are also rescues - our first dog was from our local shelter and our cat "found" us. We have fostered over fifty animals through Rescue Pup and it is a very rewarding feelings helping abused and negleted animals get the good homes that they deserve.
7. I helped to raise almost $200,000 through the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. I had never even heard of RFL, but a good friend of mine worked for ACS and needed a chair (i.e., the person in charge) last minute. She begged me and I did it as a favor to her, but she really did me the favor. I had to learn as I went, but we were able to raise more than double the money that was their previous record. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. If you have never been to a Relay, I highly suggest going to one.
8. My infertility goal (beyond having a baby, of course) is to increase the awareness of miscarriage and the lack of education around it. The silence around miscarriage makes our grief harder to bear. I would like to put together a letter for parents who have just found out that their baby died and a packet of information on where to get more information and self-care. I am in the process of putting the packet together and soon want to start going to local offices in my area and seeing how they are received. I eventually want to start a website and see if I can get people in other areas to do the same. That is my someday dream, that my angels did not die in vain and that I can help others get through the darkest hours of pregnancy loss.
Coming up with eight random facts was harder for me than I would have thought. Although I think that I am a pretty interesting, it turns out that I am kind of boring and normal on paper. Oh, well!
You know, it just hit me that now I get to tag people! Okay, Polka Dot and Tracy, you're IT!