Thursday, September 20, 2007

Lucky Socks

This morning, I went in and had a Day 10 follicle check. Two eggs on the left ovary are almost ready to go, at just under 18 and 14 mm respectively. Because they weren't quite the right size, we decided to delay the IUI until Sunday.

This also means that I am giving myself my first HCG trigger shot tomorrow morning. I am a little intimidated by this, although I know many of you are veterans. It's just that I am a little queasy when it comes to needles, blood, and pain. Especially when those last two are mine.

So. Poke myself with a small needle tomorrow. IUI Sunday. Wow. Here we go again. This time, however, I am armed with something that even the Mean Old Fertility Gods can't mess with: My red socks.

My friend Amy gave birth last November to twins. I can't hate her, though, because she went through two frustrating years of trying and tests before she was finally able to identify the problem (male factor) and get the IVF they needed to conceive. She always wore a pair of red running socks to her appointments. I visited her this last week and she handed over the lucky socks to me. Now, I will wear them to every appointment. Here's hoping that Amy's Red Socks give me the luck that I need.

5 comments:

jenna sais quoi said...

I am inspired to get my own pair of red socks.

May yours be as lucky for you as they were for Amy!

Polka Dot said...

Wow! Your ovaries aren't kidding around!

The trigger shot you're taking is nothing. Just take a deep breath and jab the needle in. And be happy yours isn't intra-muscular. Because I get my drugs from ivfmeds in the UK (way way cheaper than the States or Canada!), it's all in the muscle with these longassed needles and there's no way I could give those to myself. But the little ones are easy and you'll do fine.

Make sure you keep us posted!!

Kristen said...

YAY, 2 follies! Great news!

I hope those lucky red socks work for you too. That's so nice of your friend to pass them along.

BTW, I hope the trigger went well yesterday. I was intimidated by the size of that sucker but once it went in, it wasn't so bad. I hope you felt the same way! XOXO

Prairie Girl said...

Hoping for you and those lucky red socks. Good luck with your IUI tomorrow! And thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting.

Laura said...

Good luck with the IUI! I hope the red socks bring you lots of luck!