Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Decision Made

Well, the decision has been made. . . for now. In order for me to take the job, I would have had to have found a nanny or other care for our children by today. And the nanny we wanted and offered the job to has decided to return to school fulltime. While we were waiting for her to consider our offer, we also started doing the numbers. Nannies are expensive and there wasn't going to be as much left over as we thought after all was said and done, so me going back to work was starting to make less financial sense. I realized that if going back to work right now was the right thing to do, I wouldn't have felt so ambivalent about it. While I do not intend to stay home forever, I clearly wasn't quite ready to go back at this point.

For the moment, we have decided that Emma needs me at home for at least the first year, then I am going to look at going back to work. Having a plan in place has always made me feel much more settled and at ease. It lets me enjoy this time at home more.

Thank you for your input and advice. The struggle between working outside of the home or staying home with your kids is such a sensitive subject and I appreciate your gentle honesty and guidance.

9 comments:

Ms. J said...

Is there room for a sanity compromise or exploration . . . such as you having a certain amt of time over next year to participate in a class (professional, exercise, activity, whatever) that allows you some regular time away from the kids and home, and gives you some mental time to recharge? Could be for a charitible cause, a political endeavor, perhaps volunteering for a professional assocation that would give you something nice to add to your resume when you may someday return to work outside the home?

I totally support your decision! Just thinking bout you :o)

HereWeGoAJen said...

I'm glad you came to a decision and are happy with your plan!

It is what it is said...

I am glad you found relief in making a decision that feels right for you and your family. Life is a series of decisions woven together over time. Work will be there to go back to.

Elise Ford said...

Katie, I'm so glad you're at peace with your decision. If you ever start to doubt it, think of it this way: There may be moments, hours, or even days when you wish you could be in my shoes - in a suit and heels in a plush corner office with a gorgeous view of downtown. But there is not a single SECOND that goes by that I am not wishing I were in yours. I really don't think you will ever regret this time at home...they are only little for such a short time.

*Hugs*

Rebecca said...

Enjoy your time...I'm sure you'll be glad you did it.

Beth said...

Wahoo! So happy for you :)

And don't get down on yourself for passing on this one - you've already had a few offers line up for you this far, I'm sure that in a year (or whenever) that more opportunities will arise.

Enjoy your babies!!

Joy@WDDCH said...

So long as you are happy that is what matters! I'd love to go back to school and/or work at some point but for now I raise babies at home. Too soon they'll all be in school and I'll be left here by myself and will need something to do, LOL!

Nicky said...

Congrats on the decision! I work outside the home, but my real life friends are fairly evenly split between staying home and working outside. In my experience, the only women who are unhappy with their choice are the ones who feel like they were forced into it, one way or the other. If you have that sense of peace about what you're doing, then you're definitely doing the right thing. Glad you were able to decide!

Michele said...

The most important thing is to do what is best for your family, and what brings you peace of mind. You sound like you are doing both.