Saturday, January 5, 2008

You Can't Hurry the Ultrasound, You Just Have to Wait

Time is sure moving s.l.o.w.l.y.

There have been other times in our TTC adventures where it has seemed to creep by, but I think that these past days have been the hardest and the longest.

I wish that my RE's office wasn't quite so conservative. In looking around the blogs of other recently pregnant women, it seems unusual that we have to wait until after the sixth week mark. Most others seems to be getting their first u/s done at the mid-five week mark. Of course, this way, we are almost guaranteed seeing the heartbeat(s), but then again, it will be a little more ominous if we don't see the heartbeat(s). Although my IVF coordinator disagrees and says that some people are just "slower," if there are no heartbeat(s) detected next Tuesday, I will have a really hard time not thinking the worst. After all we have been through, I don't need any more ambivalence. One or two nice heartbeats at 90 - 110 bpm will be just fine, if anyone is taking my order.

The GSW [Great Symptom Watch] 2008 continues. Some things that I have noticed:

This morning, my breasts were definitely a little sore, although they aren't now.

Last night, I just wasn't hungry for dinner and only picked at a small salad. Other than that, I am usually ravenous. My husband actually is amazed by the intensity of my hunger and the speed at which I am eating lately.

I am incredibly thirsty. I am not really sure if this is a pregnancy symptom or not. Perhaps I am just dehydrated.

I am exhausted. I fell asleep last night at 7:30. I did wake up a bit from 9:30 til 10:00 because I had to move from the couch to bed. Then, I woke up at 8:00 this morning and then fell back asleep for a nap from 11:45 until 1:30. And another nap doesn't sound too shabby right now!

I guess I just have to wait . . . and wait. . . and WAIT. . . for the ultrasound.

I hope that everyone is having a great weekend!


Mommy Someday said...

My RE's office was the same way. I begged and pleaded, but they didn't want to see me until the 7 week mark! I was devistated!!!!!! Thank goodness my RE was going on vacation when that date fell, and I was able to sneak in at 6w4d, but it was still an eternity!!! We didn't hear or count the heartbeat at that point, only saw it on the screen. I went in two weeks later at 8w4d and we heard and saw it at a nice 179 bpm. Waiting is TOUGH and I wish you the best!

Gibson Twins said...

You are lucky to get your u/s done at 6 weeks. I was scheduled for my first u/s at the 7 week mark most likely the doc was being conservative since I had a previous m/c. I was even more conservative and wouldn't go in for the u/s until week 8 to make sure I'd see the heartbeat and we saw two heartbeats. I am hoping for two good heartbeats for you! You would totally enjoy twins btw! Good luck!!

Waiting Amy said...

The waiting is hard, and I am right there with you. The only reason my RE does the 5.5 week check is to rule out ectopic. Other clinics often don't unless the beta is not doubling.

I've been alternately ravenous and then not hungry at all. Having some more fatigue each day. Intermittently sore boobs.

Hang in there. Only a few more sleeps to go!

Anonymous said...

Hope the wait goes fast for you this weekend! I'm glad your symptoms aren't too horrible so far. Hang in there. :)

Polka Dot said...

My RE didn't do an u/s until I was 6 wks. But because my beta started out so low (20), I had betas every 2 - 3 days. So you're definitely not alone in having to wait. Cuz waiting sucks.

Maria said...

Ugh, I couldn't imagine having to wait. It must be torture. That's great that you're sleeping so much. It's good to give your body time to recuperate.

Debby said...

Oh so much of this IF journey does drag by. I agree that the wait for the first u/s is the longest 2 weeks ever. It just drags and drags and feels like it will never come. But you're so close! And considering how tired you are and how much you've been sleeping, there are only 3 more nights of sleep left til you get your reassurance. Just keep napping your way there and it'll fly by! :-)

Geohde said...

Yes, the wait for the first scan is so g-damn long.

The wait until the second is far longer, however!!!


Adriane said...

I love your GSW comments. For some reason I really get a kick out of this section of your post. We are tracking very close and I think I have pretty similar symptoms. Sounds like you really are tired!!! :-)

I know how you feel about the wait. It is painful! I hope everything goes well on Tuesday!

Tracy said...

Only a few more days, now...hang in there. I'm sure you're very anxious to see your little guy (or girl.)

I think how tired you are is a VERY good sign!

I think I'm as anxious for your scan as I am mine on Wednesday!!!!


Fertilize Me said...

waiting is torture i am sorry. I also was thirsty so much. I had bottled water and we had to get a brita pitcher because i was drinking too much water to keep buying the bottles