Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Times Two

Will and I are in hiberation mode. We have not stayed home this much since he was a newborn. I am fighting The Crud and he is a sick lil' pup. His fever is back up to 102 with Tylenol. We took a bath together and he fell asleep leaning against my knee. Every time he sneezes, a boatload of yuck comes out, which is actually a good thing, I think. Usually, when he has a sinus infection, nothing comes out, it all gets plugged up in his head, so I am glad for the snot. He just wants to snuggle, read books, and play with quiet toys. It's actually been kind of nice, alnost a return to the snuggly, cuddly newborn days.

The bad part is that I am remembering what kind of drove me nuts about the newborn days. . . not getting anything done. My house is looking rather cluttered and in need of a good vacuum. It's not a big deal for a few days, but it reminds me how housework really piles up in a relatively short period of time.

I have been having the occasional panicky moments thinking about Emma's impending arrival. I am nervous about my physical recovery and what I will not be able to do to do as far as Will's care. I am anxious about being stretched so thin and making sure that both of my children get what they need from me and that I don't lose my sanity in the process. I am stressed about the piles of laundry, the dishes, the unmade beds, and the unswept floors.

I realize that these are good things to be worried about and I wouldn't trade the chance to be a mom to two for all of the clean houses in the world. I also know that it will only be temporary and that I will gain my equilibrium eventually. It's all worth it, but I am eager for any tips of the more experienced moms and dads out there who can help make it just a bit easier. So, fire away!

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Take it one step at a time...if you manage to do the laundry today, you'll put it away tomorrow.

Take care of the loudest crier first...if that happens to be you, so be it. Can you tell I've had to make this decision often as the mother of twins?

Cut yourself some slack.

Let Husband do everything he offers to do.

Focus on what really matters in the big picture...everything else will come along.

If you feel like you can't deal for another minute, set the timer for 10 minutes...guarantee things will be better and you can deal with almost anything for 10 minutes, right?

Hang in there, Mama!!!

PS - My word verification is "hatin" and I'll bet you're "hatin" being sick...it'll all get better.

Danifred said...

Hang in there and feel better soon.

It'll all get done, in time. No worries.

Amy said...

Amen Rebecca! I agree wholeheartedly! Do what you feel like doing b/c before you know it they will be grown and gone..spendthe time, get stuff done whent they are asleep or when M comes home to play with em! You are kickin ass sea bass! xo

Anonymous said...

You'd be surprised how easy it is to just let go and focus on your kids. As a type-A control freak I think I've just reached a point where I'm ok that I can't get everything done. It's ok. It'll all be there the next day and the next.

As soon as I stopped stressing about the "stuff" and just did what I had to do I found ways to make it work--and if I can do it, you can do it no problem! ((hugs)) and feel better!

Debby said...

Hope you guys start to feel better soon! We had sickness last week too...so no fun!

On another note - was it you who one time posted a link to some info about the sleep patterns of infants and when they typically change? I feel like I read something about that through your blog one time but can't find it. I was trying to find it for a few friends with 2 month olds right now trying to settle into good sleep patterns. thanks!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beth said...

You'll do great with 2 kids! But I remember feeling the same way around 30-31 weeks with both my second and third babies - definitely normal.

Soon after Emma's birth you'll all fall into a "new normal". You will find what works (and what doesn't!) for you.

Hope you all are on the mend soon!