Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Public Service Announcements

1. A few posts back, I talked about the exercise video that I had ordered. A lot of you wanted to know the name. You can get the video here. I really do like the exercise program quite a bit. The pace is good and the level of difficulty not that bad. For those of you in far better shape than me, this video might be too easy, although you can increase the challenge with heavier weights or using a balance ball instead of sitting for some of the exercises. Also, although I think that the video is well-priced, it can get kind of spendy if you don't have all of the equipment that they used: balance ball, handweights, and resistance bands. But if you do end up ordering it, let me know what you think!

2. I was in Tra.der J.oe's this weekend and found something that can be a pregnant woman's new best friend. If you don't have a local TJ's, then you can order these online. They are called Fruit and Fiber bars and they taste great, they are basically dried fruit leather with soy flour and psyllium in them, both things that have a lot of fiber. I got the "bits and pieces" bag, which are all of the ends of the bars, so instead of paying 50 cents a bar, I paid $2 for a big bag of good sized "scraps." This is a great alternative for you ladies out their with some constipation issues who don't like prunes or those fiber chews or drinks (or are tired of them).

*Psyllium, also referred to as ispaghula, is derived from the husks of the seeds of Plantago ovata . Psyllium contains a high level of soluble dietary fiber, and is the chief ingredient in many commonly used bulk laxatives, including products such as Meta.mucil® and Ser.utan®. Psyllium-containing laxatives are considered class C-2 drugs in pregnancy, meaning that they appear to be safe in all three trimesters, although studies in pregnant humans and animals have not been done. Psyllium-containing products are considered class 1 (apparently safe) during breastfeeding

3. Also, I posted on my experience with Ba.by's R U.s a couple of days ago. A good friend of mine gave me a great tip for when you register. Right by the registration table, there should be a display of books-for-purchase. Included in that display, should be the Con.sumer Guide for purchasing baby gear. Instead of actually buying the book, just use the book in the store whenever you are trying to make a decision on which stroller, crib, etc., you want for your baby. Just make sure to put the book back before you leave!

4 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

Katie thanks for the good ideas. i also ordered a book online called baby bargains. It's the 7.1 edition for 2008 and it does the same thing - so if your bru doesnt have that book - look in your book store and read it there and take notes.

Tracy said...

For those of you in the midwest, that DVD is for sale at Meijer for 9.99. :)

Thanks for the tips, Katie!

K @ ourboxofrain said...

I'll second Fertilized's plug of Baby Bargains. Very helpful. I especially liked that they gave specific advice based on your lifestyle/how you're likely to use a product (in addition to the recommendations based on safety and features).

Thanks for the info on the video and the snacks!

Jen said...

I'm definitely heading to Trader Joe's for those fruit and fiber bars! I've learned that fiber is my new best friend. Another good one is a new Crystal Light product with 3 grams of fiber in each little drink packet. It has definitely gotten things moving for me!