Update: Well, Dr. M has proven sympathetic to our plight, and has approved us to be the final transfer of 2007. We had to do a little schedule juggling and make it to an injections class today, but we have gotten the green light. Now, everyone cross your fingers that my period arrives before Monday, or all may be lost. This is so ironic - praying for a period! I will post more on our actual protocol and dates tomorrow - but as those of you who have traveled this path before well know, those are moving targets. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. It is appreciated so much more than you could ever know.
Yesterday moring, I called T at my RE's office and left her a message asking whether it was even possible for me to get into an IVF cycle before the end of the year. I figured there was no use agonizing over a decision that might not even be mine to make. I explained the financial reasoning as well as the emotional need to be proactive.
At almost 5 PM, I received a phone call from the IVF coordinator, who is just the greatest woman, compassionate, kind, and caring. She is the type of person that you would expect to have working at a IF office. She explained that I could just make it into the last group of cyclers for 2007, if my period starts in the next 5 - 7 days (no pressure here) and I can start my suppression medication (fancy name for birth control pills, eh?) on the second day of that cycle.
I would then be starting injectibles in late November/early December with a mid-month retrieval/transfer and a Christmastime beta. It is strange to think that it can happen so quickly, although I guess we have been building to this for quite some time, and there is nothing "quick" about it.
The only potential snag is that Dr. M still has to approve this. I can't imagine why she wouldn't, but she wasn't in yesterday, so the IVF coordinator was just calling me to explain the basic details and what I would need to do to get started if Dr. M gives us the go ahead.
I am a strange mixture of terrified, elated, excited, sad, and scared right now. I will post an update later to let you know the verdict. Fingers crossed. . .