Friday, September 5, 2008

Birth Story Part 4 - Baby Makes Three

It seemed as if we had been in a holding pattern for the past few hours . . . waiting to dilate, waiting to labor down, waiting for Little Man to stop being stubborn and come on down the birth canal. Waiting, waiting, waiting.

Once we made the decision to move forward with the c-section, things happened fast. M went to tell his family that we were going to do the surgery and to prepare them that I was a bit upset about it. He was gone less than five minutes and by the time he came back, our room was filled with a lot of medical professionals. The anesthesiologist had come in to introduce himself and told me that he was "sorry" that it had come to this. That made me feel bad again and I almost asked to try pushing for a bit more, but it seemed futile and I was really tired. He explained that he would be using the same epidural, just adding more medication, so it would be really easy for me to be prepped for surgery once we got to the OR.

A nurse handed me a small cup of the nastiest stuff in the world to reduce stomach acid in case you should vomit from the anesthesia. She told me to take it in one gulp, and I did. It tasted like a raunchy Sweet.Tart. Not pleasant. Then, they put a surgical cap on my head and slid the side bars up for my transfer. I had to sign a few waivers and the OB explained the procedure and risks to us. That's always fun, signing those papers, feeling as if you are signing your life away with the stroke of a pen. With the paperwork out of the way, it was time to go.

With M and three nurses by my side, I was wheeled down the hallway. The hardest part was probably being wheeled past all of M's family on the way. His grandmother, mother, sister, and three cousins were all standing there. I felt like such a failure just lying there having failed to push Little Man out on my own. I started to cry again as we passed them, and they all patted my arm and wished us luck. Before I knew it I was in the OR and getting prepped for the c-section.

I was transferred onto the operating table - it took three people, talk about feeling that Baby Weight! The big blue "curtain" went up and my arms were strapped down. I had the "baby shakes" again, this time so badly that they were unable to get a read on my blood pressure and heartrate without someone holding pressure over the cuffs. They kept bringing warm blankets to drape across my chest and arms, but they did not seem to help whatsoever.

The anesthesiologist gave me something through the IV that was supposed to reduce the shaking, and it seemed to a bit, but not for long. He also gave me more medication through the epidural port to numb me. About this time, I started to feel nauseous. I asked for a pan and just barely got one in time. It was really disgusting, throwing up that bitter stuff that I had taken just a few minutes before. I thought that they would make me drink it again, but then the doctor gave me something for the nausea and I felt better. He even apologized for not giving it to me sooner. I felt badly because he had to hold the pan for me while I threw up, but he was really nice about it.

Things then got a bit crazy after that because the epidural didn't take on the right side of my stomach. I could easily still feel the pin prick as pain and also the alcohol wipes as cold. So we had to do a spinal block. And I could still feel the pin prick! The anesthesiologist was starting to talk about putting me under a general, which I did not want, but then the OB grabbed and pinched my abdomen where she would be cutting and I couldn't feel a thing. So, she made the first incision.

As a result of the problems with getting me numb as well as my nausea, they didn't even bring M in until after they had started. Suddenly, he was by my head, wearing his oh-so-sexy surgical garb. I don't know what came over me, but I leaned into him and whispered, "I want to go home." And I really did. All of a sudden, I was so tired, so scared, so done, that even the excitement of meeting Little Man couldn't overcome it all. M was very good, he didn't even laugh or smile, just patted my forehead and said, "I know you do, but just remember, we're going to meet the baby soon."

Later, he said it was really tough not to laugh at my remark, because they had already cut me wide open and there was really no going back now. But he said that I sounded and looked so pitiful that he didn't dare crack a smile. What a guy, I laugh just thinking about it now.

The c-section itself was not at all painful. I did feel some tugging and a bit of pressure, and then all of a sudden, the anesthesiologist said to M, "Got your camera ready?" M barely had time to pull it from his pocket when the doctor said, "Stand up, Dad, get a picture of your baby!"

And Little Man was born.

His cry filled the air and I heard the doctor say, "He's coming out peeing!" He peed all the way to the incubator, where they cleaned him up. His Apgar scores were 8 and 9 and although I kept asking if he was okay, he was crying loudly as if to reassure me that he was just fine. Before he was born, I had told M to go immediately to the baby and he did. I watched from my pinned down position as M stood in awe and took pictures of our son. He won't admit it now, but his mask was stained with a few tears of joy. They asked if he wanted to cut the cord and I smiled at his enthusiastic, "I would love to."

A few seconds later, M came with Will all bundled up. I touched his tiny cheek and said, "There you are." But I was still very shaky and didn't trust myself to try and hold him. I was worried that I was going to bash him with my unsteady hands.

M said that his life was changed in the moment that he first held our little boy. I know that I saw the change instantly. M likes babies but had never really held one for long, changed a poopy diaper, swaddled a baby, or comforted one when it cried. All of a sudden, he was holding Will, making soothing noises, and completely engrossed in our precious child. If there is one blessing from having had a c-section, I truly believe that M got into the parenting game a lot sooner than he would have otherwise. He got to hold Will first, got to calm him first with a clicking noise that still works to soothe him, changed quite a few diapers before I could even get out of bed. And he truly became a Daddy so much faster than either of us had anticipated. I do believe that he would have done this either way, as he is such a natural, but I think I would have rushed in to do everything and not given him the space to learn.

One weird thing about a c-section is that most of it is done after the baby is born. So, there you are, lying there with your baby crying, and all you can do is just listen to the OB and her assistant talk about their weekend plans. They are pretty nonchalant about the fact that they are pawing through your reproductive organs, but then again, they do this every day. The OB did tell me that she did a little "extra" liposuction for me and also complimented me on how I was "all baby" and "so tiny." I am not sure if she was kidding or not, but my belly did seem to shrink pretty quickly and I have already lost all 30 pounds that I gained during the pregnancy - though I still have a lot of work left to do to get back to pre-infertility weight and shape! But post-partum recovery is a whole other blog entry of its own!


Polka Dot said...

aaawww I've loved reading the story! It just all brings tears to my eyes.

lol @ saying you wanted to go home. My mom said something similar to my dad in the elevator on their way to deliver me. She said "I've changed my mind. I don't want to do this" hah

When I see the picture of Will's face on your blog, I'm always a bit surprised at the chubby cheeks. I forget that my own younger brother came out at 10lbs 4ounces and looked like an angry chinaman lol

Anonymous said...

Aww! You're such a cute little family. :)

I laughed when you said you want to go home. That's TOTALLY something I would say. Like I hit the panic button and I'm ready to get outta there! :)

Mel said...

I loved all 4 parts, seriously. Thank you SO much for sharing all this and in such great detail. I cannot imagine how hard it all was in the moment, but just seeing your beautiful, glowing faces in that photo makes me KNOW it was all completely worth it. You are so blessed, God has given you the greatest gift. I am so beyond thrilled for you. ;)

Jen said...

I loved the story! I cried at the sweetness.

Christy said...

What a beautiful, beautiful family all of you make. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

K @ ourboxofrain said...

Thanks so much for sharing your story, Katie. I feel like I've read a lot of them, and yours is one that really touched my heart, mostly because it just felt really honest, and in part because I could see myself feeling the same way you did as events unfolded -- the desire to keep trying pushing, the feeling like a failure (you're totally not!!), and the desire to just go home. You did an amazing job, even if everything didn't go the way you hoped it would. I'm so thrilled for you and for M as you begin this new part of your journey together with Will.

Congrats again!

Kim said...

Finally!! Thank you so much for sharing Will's birth story. You're a beautiful family.. and you're totally glowing!

BrownEyedGirl said...

What a scary situation! I read the whole thing and cried and cried. It is my biggest fear as my OB wants me to try for a vaginal birth with the twins and I keep worrying I'll get one out and end up with a c-section in the end.

I am so glad that Will arrived safe and sound, peeing all over! :D Typical boy thing right?! Lol.

Congratulations to you again and what a beautiful family!!!!

Elle Charlie said...

A beautiful family portrait!

Joy said...

I was actually saying "Awwwwwwwwwww!" aloud as I read!!! And may I say that Will looks so much like his daddy!

InfertileMadWoman said...

Awww thanks for sharing Katie!!! You guys look so happy!!! Enjoy Little Man!!!


RM said...

I have been loving reading all the installments! But I have a question for you... they do liposuction while they're in there?! I never knew that!! Bonus...

Anonymous said...

I love the birth story, all 4 parts! I am just glad I read them all in one sitting, the suspense would have killed me!

He is here, he is safe, he is gorgeous and that is what matters in the end.

Congrats on your beautiful family!

Casey said...

What a beautiful family! I couldn't wait to hear part 4!!!

Julie said...


Thanks for sharing your birth story with us! I really liked hearing what you went through and how you finally got to meet your son! I think this whole pregnancy thing is so bizarre--after all the IF struggles, and the worrying about the baby, your body finally goes into labor and poof! Life changes.

I look forward to hearing more stories about Will and to trudge along this parenting path with you!
Take care!

Road Blocks and Roller Coasters said...

WOW! That is some story! I am so glad that everything turned out so beautifully in the end! You make such a cute family! HUGS!

Fertilized said...

what a precious family! Ypur stor is amazing and strong. You should be very proud.

Not to mention, You look FAN-freakin-tastic. In every one of my labor/post partum room pictures, i really look like hell warmed over! and you endured much more than I did!

Jen said...

You 3 look so adorable together!!!

Geohde said...

Congratulations (again) :)

My block in my c-section went pear, too...



Annalien said...

I love the family photo. You and hubby look so happy and proud. Thanks for sharing your "war" story. I fully enjoyed it.