Friday, June 20, 2008

GTT (Good Times Today?)

Thanks to my wireless internet card, I am posting "live" from hour one of my GTT.

So far, it's not too bad.

I had to start fasting last night by 8:30 PM. I am not a huge late night snacker, so I didn't think it would be a problem. What I didn't take into consideration is that fasting means that I can't have the fruit juices that I love to drink in the evening, a cup of tea, or a glass of milk to quell nighttime heartburn. Or my Tums or Maalox that would serve the same purpose.

Due to the heartburn (and probably a bit of nerves), I didn't sleep that great and woke up with a slight headache - and ravenously thirsty and hungry. I had a few sips of water but that was it. I grudgingly gave the dogs breakfast - even their dry kibble was starting to look good! I made sure to bring some work stuff to keep my mind occupied as well as a couple of DVDs and a book. I also packed some almonds and water for the minute I am able to eat again!

I got to the clinic at the instructed time (8:30 AM) and was slightly annoyed that I had to wait a half hour for the first blood draw. C'mon people, I am a hungry pregnant woman! A half hour will make a difference! I was about to complain when they called me back.

I had my first blood draw at 9:03 and then the technician handed me The Bottle Of Orange Goo. This bottle is actually slightly smaller than the bottle that I had to take on Tuesday, but with double the glucose in it, so much thicker and sweeter. I learned my lesson from drinking the Goo earlier this week: the longer that you take to drink it, the more liquid will seem to magically appear in the bottom the bottle. The tech told me that I had five minutes to drink it and that she would start the timer when I was done. She then turned her back to enter some data in the computer and I chugged the bottle of goo. It was actually easy to do so, as it was cold and sweet and I was thirsty from my fasting.

I think I pounded it in less than thirty seconds. This must be uncommon because I said, "I'm finished!" and she turned and looked at the empty bottle and then at me with the most incredulous look on her face. I think she actually looked at the floor to make sure that I hadn't poured it out. I don't think that she understands: This pregnant lady means business - the faster we get this show on the road, the faster I can eat my almonds!

I have now settled myself out in the waiting room. It's been about 45 minutes and I don't feel too badly. I mean, I am hungry and thirsty (again), but no major dizziness, nausea, or heartburn. I don't feel great, but it's not as bad as I expected, and I think if I ate something, I would feel pretty okay. I keep glancing longingly at my almonds and water, but it's not too long from now and I can go to town.

I am disappointed that they probably won't have the results to me by the end of the day. I am a little stressed about eating carbs before I know if I do have GD, so I was hoping to know by the weekend. I guess some people would see it as my final reprieve, but I just can't enjoy desserts and the like until I know for sure that it won't hurt Baby Boy.

The one fun thing about this test is that the baby seems to enjoy the sugar load. He is doing a Jazzercize routine in their that is keeping me entertained. I'll let you know the results when I do.

Edited: Blood draw #2 was interesting. A different tech (I think she might be new) took my draw and she didn't realize that the vial she was using was an auto-fill - meaning that it can only take so much blood and then it will stop. She kept flicking at the needle, squeezing my arm, and it started to hurt a bit. . . then a lot. . . as the blood started backing up in my vein and swelling up. Then, suddenly, blood was spurting around the needle and onto the counter. I have never. ever. had that happen. Between fertility tests and treatments, IVF, etc., I have had a lot of blood draws. I am definitely going to have a monster bruise.

Second Edit: As many of you commented on, water is allowed after the third draw, which is nice. I am really enjoying these small sips of water. Heavenly!

Third Edit: I'm outta here! I get the results Monday morning. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

17 comments:

Adriane said...

Good luck! Hope the next hours go by quickly!!!!

Jen said...

I'm sending you all the low blood sugar vibes that I can muster. I hope the next couple of hours fly by.

Tracy said...

I'm sure you'll pass with flying colors! I took my laptop to my first glucose test and the time flew by...good idea! My lab has wi-fi, can you believe it?

Anyway, hope you are able to enjoy the weekend. I'm sure all will be fine.

Rachel said...

Wow, live blogging! I don't know if you're still doing the test but I've been allowed to drink water some of the times it was administered. It makes sense that water shouldn't interfere with your glucose very much, if at all. Might be worth asking.

AwkwardMoments said...

Keep up the god work.. I am impressed as for i had the hardest time getting the 3 hour drink down!

HereWeGoAJen said...

I know how boring sitting around can be. I hope you find some good blogs to read while you wait!

K @ ourboxofrain said...

I hope all turns out well. And it's too late now, since I'm sure you're long-since out of there, but my doc (and the lab tech) said you can drink water during any glucose screen -- the one hour or the three. (I was very parched this morning myself.)

Julie, Todd, Kate and Miles said...

I'm crossing my fingers for you and sending lots of positive thoughts your way!

Joy said...

Your experience sounds like mine did (except for the tech and auto-fill incident). They let me drink water after the second draw, which was nice because I felt really ill.

HOPE IT COMES BACK IN NORMAL RANGE!

Mrs. Piggy said...

I love that you posted live! My husband posted live while I was having contractions (with the epidural)...on face book
my thing said "[name] is lovin her epidural" and then we didnt update for 2 days, scared a few people.
I expect live blog posts during labor!

Samantha said...

Yuck about that blood draw! I actually had that happen to me once too. It's amazing when that blood flows out of you under pressure the mess it can make! As if you already weren't feeling bad enough after fasting and drinking the glop!

Hope the results come back okay!

Adriane said...

Just saw the updates - I can't believe your second draw with blood spurting all over! That's terrible. I hope you get great results on Monday!!!

Anonymous said...

Ugh! I hate a bad blood draw! Never heard of blood spattered about the room though. That's a new low!

Geohde said...

This post brought back too-recent memories of just how horrid the fasting was....

Good luck woth the results,

J

sara said...

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck on your GTT and getting your results Monday. That's a test I'm not looking forward too much. But bringing something good to do is a great suggestion. Sending low blood sugar thoughts your way!

RBandRC said...

Good luck with the results! Hoping that you do not have GD. HUGS!

Baby Blog Directory said...

Good luck with the results! I failed my one hour during my first pregnancy but passed the 3 hr., so there's definitely hope!!