Friday, February 4, 2011

Full Scale Military Operations Require Less Planning (and Packing)

Things have been a bit. . . busy. . . lately here. Busy is the only word I can really use to describe it. My part time job (that feels more full time some days) eats up most of the time that I used to have for blogging.

It's a good busy in that I have little time to really think about how tired I am. I fall into bed utterly exhausted at the end of each crazy day. I sleep deeply until the kids rouse me (which varies, but is usually around 7:30 - 8:00 AM, so I am fortunate there). The problem is, of course, that oftentimes, I am not getting to bed until well after midnight as the afforementioned part time job keeps me up pretty late.

Still, it's tough to complain when I know there are people dealing with real problems out there. Back in November, a friend of mine's little girl was diagnosed with a inoperable, terminal brain tumor. There is no hope that she will live longer than a year from diagnosis, and that would be an optimistic timeline. Watching his family go through this is heartwrenching and awe inspiring and keeps my own "problems" in perspective.

I just got back from a week with the kids at my parents' house. Holy crimony. Packing with two small children is an adventure all of it's own. I also brought the dog. It was a bit nuts how much stuff I packed. I felt as if we were moving in. I think my parents did, too. They aren't used to the hustle and bustle of two busy children, so they were pretty exhausted by the time I left, too.

As were were stuffing things pack into my car for our return trip home, my parents were laughing at how much stuff I had brought. My mom was the one who pointed out that armies move with less things that I do. Well, armies have to pack lightly. Thanks to the fact that we have a Jeep with some decent cargo space, I don't. Armies do not have a toddler and infant with them. I do ! In some ways, taking them to my parents' house for that long is like going into battle. I need to be prepared with all of the necessary tactical equipment.

We are home today and it feels good to be back on my own turf. It is always good seeing the kids with their grandparents, but it is tough being there without the comforts of home. Will doesn't nap there, even if I lay down with him, which is frustrating since he needs the naps (as evidenced by the two to three hour naps that he takes here). And since we sleep out in their motorhome, I don't feel comfortable putting the kids out there by themselves, which means I am going to bed at 8:00 PM with them, waiting until they are asleep, and then working as quietly as possible to try and scrabble some work together. My parents have the slowest internet connection, so it took me double the time it normally would to get my job done. I still have lots to do this weekend.

While I was at my parents, my sister and brother-in-law announced they are eight weeks pregnant. They had just been for their first ultrasound that day. The baby had a HB of 165 BPM and was measuring right on for dates. While they aren't announcing it on Facebook (like they did last time with all the innocence of first timers), they are feeling much more comfortable and telling family and close friends. Obviously, they are still nervous. Obviously, I completely "get" that.

So, this is where I've been. Thanks to those of you who have been checking in. I'm alive and well, just busy, tired, and lucky to be both of those things. I'll try to be a better blogger, promise!

3 comments:

Stacy Woodruff said...

Next time, take the baby monitor with you, so you don't have to stay in the mobile home with them the whole time they are asleep. Peace of mind, and freedom.

RoseAnn said...

My observation on packing is that we use whatever space is available to us. We were able (DH and I) to take one carryon and one backpack each for 2 weeks in Italy but we'll fill the car to the brim for 2 nights in the mountains with the dogs! LOL

It is what it is said...

It's good to hear from you and to know that all is well. Congrats on becoming an auntie-to-be to this developing little one.

My son will be 4 in March and we can now finally more easily travel without much gear (that really started when he was about 3). I look forward to those days for you. Just clothes, toiletries, maybe a book or a couple of toys/DVDs, and go!