Sunday, December 12, 2010

Detox Complete. . . Or Is It?

So, it's been two weeks since my husband and I began our Vegan Detox Plan. Overall, I have to say, I think it was a great success and I encourage even the meatiest of meat eaters out there to at least give it a try.

M lost 16.5 (that .5 is very important, he won't let me forget it!) pounds, I lost 4. I also lost a lot of bloat and am down a complete pant size, which was more important to me than what the scale says. I am now wearing a two pairs of jeans that I haven't worn since before I got pregnant with Emma.

I learned an incredible amount about my body and how it reacts to and processes food. I had always heard people say that you "aren't eating enough," when trying to lose weight. I never understood that reasoning. It seemed that diets and losing weight were all about not eating or eating much less than usual. With this plan, I really listened to my body, and people, my body was HUNGRY. The first week, I shoved food in my face at an alarming rate. Of course, it was all unprocessed, incredibly healthy, natural foods, but it was still food. I wasn't surprised that the scale barely budged. This week, I still ate a lot. More than I ever have eaten on any sort of "diet" before. But the scale dropped anyway.

My head feels clearer and I definitely have more energy. I am loving being creative in the kitchen. I made a delicious mango green curry, spinach and sweet potato enchiladas (the sauce was amazing, the filling needs some work) with a spanish rice that you couldn't even tell was vegan, and a tortilla soup that was very tasty. We had "burgers" last night and french fries. We both felt as if we were eating way too well to be on any sort of "diet."

So. . . are you ready to be shocked again? We're not done. We are going to add soy into our diet to increase our protein sources and I am going to allow myself the occasional agave syrup in my tea, but M doesn't want to go back to meat yet. At this point, we are going to go week to week and see where we are and how we are feeling.

I don't see us going vegan or even vegetarian permanently, but for now, we are both feeling better, losing weight, and happy with what we are eating. Who knew?

5 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Wow, I am impressed. You are convincing me that we ought to try this. Now I just need you to convince Matt. :)

Katie said...

I am telling you: If my husband can do it, anyone can. You just have to be creative and promise them lots of chips and guacamole.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you rock!! I'm so happy to hear how well that has gone for the both of you! Can't wait to see what happens next!

Rebecca said...

This is cool...now, how much meat did you guys eat when you started? Is Will buying into it too?

Searching said...

You rock!!! Sounds like it's been an amazing thing to try!