According to Pregnancy Week By Week at Babies Online:
"Your baby's organ systems are now functioning and he has a skeleton, nerves and blood circulation. Your baby's tiny feet are fully formed and shaped and could stand on an adult's fingernail. The most critical part of baby’s development is now over, and the remainder of the pregnancy is about rapid growth, organ maturation and getting ready for delivery. In fact, your baby grows so quickly now that he will start out this week being approximately 21 - 25 mm or 0.85 - 1.0 inches and by the end of the week will be 44 - 51 mm or 1.75 - 2.0 inches and weigh approximately 7 grams! Your baby’s head is about ½ of his body length. The baby’s eyelids are fused now and the irises are developing. Your baby will begin to get baby teeth, fingernails, toenails and hair follicles this week, too."
In a word? Wow. One of my books said that the baby would be the size of a lime by week's end. We happen to have some limes in a fruit bowl downstairs. Those suckers are pretty good sized!
Which might explain my ever-expanding waistline. No, I am not "showing," I just look fat. But my husband noticed it for the first time last night, instead of it just being my overcritical eye. So, as you might have guessed, I have another addition to:
Eleven Reasons Why This Pregnancy Is Different and Should Result In A RLB*
3) Great heartbeat - at 10weeks, 1 day it was 164 bpm
4) Consistent measurements- Ahead three days this last week!
5) Pregnancy vitamins
6) Phenergan - can I tell you how much I love this drug?!?!
7) Pure and utter faith - this baby is the farthest we have ever gotten in gestational age. As of today, we are exactly at the date when we found out that we had lost Gummy Bear. It's all unchartered territory moving forward.
8) No spotting - even though I have had lot of cramping these past few days.
10) Fainting - three times since last week, once on my front steps, which was really scary. I have a couple of nice bruises, but no permanent damage.
11) Expanding waistline - At my 11 week appointment with Gummy Bear, I was still easily fitting into my regular jeans. For one million dollars, I could not button up my regular jeans now. I love it.
*Real Live Baby