Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Smackdown, Boob, and Crazy Update

First off, thank you for all of the advice lately. Here are some updates.

HITTING: We have started taking away a favorite toy when he hits. This seems to be having some effect, but we also haven't been in a playgroup situation since we implemented that. However, he hasn't hit me in two days, which is a BIG improvement. And what is most impressive is that he has started to hit on several occasions, where he has pulled his hand back and up, but you can see him stopping himself. I know that we'll have regression here, but I am happy to say that things seem a bit better right now.

NURSING: WOW. Thank you for the detailed and supportive comments. Breastfeeding is one of those issues that I am always afraid to blog about as it can spark a lot of different opinions. I am working on pumping to increase supply, and I had taken fenugreek before but hadn't this time so I started that again. I also realized that I always locked myself up in the bathroom or other such not-fun-locations while pumping, and that makes it even worse. Yesterday, I pumped while I watched t.v. I still didn't get a ton of milk, but I got more than usual. So, thank you everyone.

CRAZY DROP MY KIDS OFF WITH A STRANGER LADY: Yeah, I called her back and told her No, Thanks. She had already found someone else in in the meantime, so she was fine with it*. She asked if she could call me in the future if she needed help, and I told her that I would feel far more comfortable if we had a playdate first. She didn't seem to like that idea and I doubt we'll be hearing from her again. That's fine by me. I am just glad to know that I am not the only one that thought this was insane.

*What she actually said was, "Oh." Then she paused for an incredibly awkward amount of time and said that she "didn't think that was necessary." I think she misunderstood and thought I wanted to be friends or something. I probably should have used a different word like "interview" or "practice day," but I think this is for the best anyway.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

So glad that things seem to be working out. We are also dealing with hitting and I am a bit at a loss as to what to do. The fusspot tends to hit when we are trying to direct her to a new activity/something she doesn't want (she hit JD when he cut up her french toast for her this morning) so it's hard to redirect in those instances because there is something we need to do. At the moment we hold her hand and say no, and then she usually starts sobbing because we've criticized her. Toddlers are so hard to figure out!

Jen said...

She didn't like the idea of meeting you before watching her children??? Yeah...that's beyond crazy.

HereWeGoAJen said...

Good, I am glad things are going well!

Mazzy said...

So glad to hear about the hitting. I have several friends that SWEAR by the book "Bringing up Boys" by James Dobson. There are things that moms just can't always relate to with their boys, because, well... they are BOYS and we aren't. You might check it out if you are looking for more resources to help you understand the boy psyche a bit better.

The nursing thing stinks. I hated pumping and there came a time when I just couldn't get anything out of it. I had the same pump as you, too. I was just worn out by the whole process, but L wouldn't take bottles so I didn't have to do it much. I think I stopped pumping all together at 9 months. I kinda dread the thought of ever having to do it again.

WEIRD about the chick wanting you to watch her kids. Sheesh. Sounds like she wanted to treat you more like an employee than a potential friend and reliable child care provider. I don't know that I'd want a relationship with that kind of person in either capacity. Thankful that you don't have to worry about it.

MissNoAngel (find me on Twitter) said...

Just reading your last post about the lady wanting to drop off her kids - wow. WOW. I worry about my kids with anyone. ANYONE! The only ppl I will let watch them are family and CLOSE friends (which, while I would allow it, has never happened yet - only my parents and Hubby's parents have watched them). And I still worry - I worry when they are with my mom...if we are being honest, I worry when they are with my HUSBAND! They are my WORLD, I cannot even imagine.

Anyhow, we are struggling with hitting here too. Nolan has decided that slapping is a good way of expressing himself. *Sigh*

As for the pumping, fenugreek or Mother's Milk Tea are my only advice - I struggle with supply too. Nolan still nurses pretty well though..but I've found that I produce almost nothing for the pump while I seem to do pretty well satisfying him a la boob. That said, he isn't a big drinker. Even with a sippy or bottle he's never taken more than 8 oz and usually averages about 6.

peesticksandstones said...

Oh boy, I'll be bracing myself for this hitting phase. Coleman has these biting spells that make me nuts (and hurt!) -- every time I try to get all serious and make him know it's not okay, he just smiles at me all crazy and laughs his buns off. I keep trying to dig out all my "Toddler Behavior" books for advice, and end up even more confused.

Pumping sucks hugely. They actually said in my La Leche meetings to just put the baby on your boob as much as possible to increase supply and the baby will "put her order in" to make more by suckling. But I know that isn't realistic for a lot of people -- especially with a toddler to attend to, my god.

That watch-my-children lady -- oh man. Some things definitely aren't worth the extra money. But it does seem like there is cash to be made -- just look at how much we give our sitter each week... sigh.

Thanks again for your awesome comments recently. That crepe-making station had me in stitches for hours. You rock!