Monday, November 29, 2010

Detox Ain't Just For Li-Lo*

Okay, what I am about to tell you is absolutely shocking.

Well, not shocking perhaps. But if you knew me (well, my husband, especially) in real life, you'd fall off of your chair with laughter at what I am about to tell you.

No, I am not pregnant.

M and I are starting a Vegan Detox today. Now, me, I could be a vegetarian perhaps. I have always felt a little blegh when it comes to meat and I probably could psych myself into never eating meat again. BUT (huge pause for dramatic effect) I love my dairy. Cheese, milk, ice cream, cheese, and have I mentioned cheese? Or ice cream?

Also (another pause for the drama), my husband? Oh, my husband loves meat. He adores it. He loves to chew it from bones, saw it from huge steaks, lob it down in hamburgers the size of his head. He dreams about meat. He also eschews most vegetables, especially the green ones, unless they are literally drowning in ranch dressing or cheddar cheese sauce. In case you were wondering, meat, ranch dressing, and cheddar cheese sauce are all items you would not find on any vegan menu.

On the other hand, both of us are feeling lousy lately; general indigestion, bloating, headaches, and just a general yucky feeling. For me, I know it's because we have been eating like crap since I was pregnant. I am starting to get my groove back now that Emma is napping a bit more regularly (not scheduled, but I can count on at least one good stretch a day), I can put a bit more time into meal planning and preparation. But even then, I make a lot of dishes that count on a box of something premade. There are many times when I skip making a salad or healthful side dish because, let's face it, carbs and fats are just so much easier and faster to slop on the plate. There are nights when M grabbing something through the drive-thru is so much more appealing than taking my free twenty minutes of the day to cook dinner.

I just feel kind of "bogged down" by what we've been putting in our mouths. And with two children to set a good example for, it gives us that much more incentive to eat better. While weight loss is not the purpose of this detox, I also know that if we eat this way for two weeks, there is no way that some pounds won't come off. Even if they don't, I am hoping to "retrain" us to eat a few more fruits and veggies, some healthful protein, and a few less carbs and bad fats.

I started feeling this way when I was pregnant and my good blog friend Mel was doing this. At the time, I promised myself that once life was somewhat under control again, I would do it. I didn't know if I'd be able to convince my meat-revering husband to go along for the ride. The past few weeks, however, he has been talking about wanting to change things up, so I figured it was now or never.

I shopped yesterday and had a lot of fun doing it. The total made me cringe a bit and made me wonder why it costs so much more to eat real food than processed food, but I believe it's worth it. Of course, this is also not the greatest time of year to be buying enough fruit and vegetables to feed a small army. Fortunately, a new WinCo just opened up a few blocks from our house. Their produce and fresh herb selection is amazing and the prices are unbeatable. They also have a phenomenal bulk food section where I was able to get a lot of spices and the more random things, like flaxseeds and nutritional yeast for a fraction of what they would have cost elsewhere. They also (cue angels singing) have a small section of gluten-free breads, bagels, and pizza crusts. I skipped those for now, but if we decide to cut gluten for a bit longer, I will definitely be visiting that section again.

So, here we go. Day 1. Here is what we are going to be eating:

Breakfast

Oatmeal with bananas and walnuts

Snack

Veggies and hummus

Lunch

Mixed greens with corn, avocado, black beans, raw sunflower seeds, and a homemade lime-tomatillo-vinaigrette

Snack

Grapes (and some raw cashews for M)

Dinner

Carrot-ginger soup**
Cabbage and carrot "slaw" with a hummus-based dressing


* Okay, Li-Lo might be the dorkiest celeb nickname I have ever heard. But it sure beats Firecrotch.

**I am super exciteed to try this soup. It sounds amazing!

4 comments:

Ms. J said...

GOOD FOR YOU! And more importantly, it will be good for your kids!

Do me a favor and, within reason, do not allow yourself to get into a habit of making separate meals for the kids as they age . . . make sure they are eating what you do so they practice healthy habits, too. I am flabbergasted by the people who insist their kids will eat "nothing but french fries and chicken nuggets." Modeling healthy eating has been a good lesson for my husband, who never met a fried-something he didn't covet, and claims an allergy to vegetables (this is a joke, folks).

Yes, we FEEL better when we have fueled our bodies with healthy items. When we eat a bunch of crap, my husband and I joke that we just "rented a meal," if you catch my drift.

HereWeGoAJen said...

I think this is a great idea. I need to do something like this too, I think. However, I think Matt would starve.

Adriane said...

My Mom has been Vegan for about 3 mos now and says she feels fabulous. She was the biggest meat eater I'd ever met! Good for you guys!

Mazzy said...

This detox changed my life. I won't lie, I do still eat meat and dairy these days, but it isn't the same. We will occasionally eat a side out of box, especially on a bad day, but I am VASTLY better at preparing fresh foods. I lost 6 pounds during that detox and felt AMAZING by the end. There were some low moments for sure, but the end result was amazing. Hang in there, girl