Thursday, August 13, 2009

Because Life Was Getting "Boring"

When I submitted my resignation from Johnson & Johnson back in February, it was with very mixed emotions. Not only did I wonder what would become of us financially, but I worried how I would feel about giving up my alter-ego-career-woman personality.

It turns out that I didn't miss working as much as I thought I would. I did miss some of the coworkers that had become friends in my time with the company, but I didn't miss the politics and the superficiality of wearing this suit with those shoes and that necklace to the big meeting. I missed my wonderful customers, I missed the feeling that I was helping people, I missed that exhilerating charge of landing a new contract, but I didn't miss the piles of paperwork and BS justify-my-job stuff we had to do.

And as for the financial stuff, we certainly aren't starving and we have more than what we need to get by. There are days when I wish we could go out to dinner and I get tired of clipping coupons, but we do get out at least once a couple times a month and I get a teeny little rush from watching the totals fall after my coupons are applied at the register.

I really loved dedicating myself to Will in his first year. I wouldn't trade that for the world.

But we are on a schedule now. He naps for several hours a day, the house isn't immaculate, but it's back up and running, with laundry folded, refrigerator stocked, and the cobwebs mostly at bay. I am exercising daily, the dogs and cat are no longer ignored, and life has a certain predictability to it that made me start feeling as if I should throw a monkey wrench in it all again.

A few weeks ago, I decided to look for a parttime, work-from-home job. I didn't want anything that would have been on a strict schedule, require any traveling, or customer face-time. I wanted to do it all from home and with some flexibility in case Will was having an off day and needed a little extra mama time.

I applied for all sorts of jobs. Man, it's tough out there. Not so much getting a job, but trying to figure out if it's a scam. In the end, I was offered many so-called work-from-home "jobs," but most of them were not real "offers," but rather get-rich-quick scams. I finally feel as if I have been offered a decent job. It's decent in that, if I make my quota and actually sell, it will pay off. I have a signed contract and a good commission structure, and I only have to work a few hours a day. I am hopeful that I can find a way to make this all work. Wish me luck!

Also, as an aside, I am considering taking my e-mail off of my profile. I have been getting a lot of not-so-nice mail lately and it has kind of turned me off of blogging. Rather than give up here altogether, I think I am just going to take that contact option off of my blog. It pains me, as I always wanted to be available to those that needed help, but I don't deserve to be a punching bag, either. I am going to give it a few days, so if you want to keep in touch via e-mail, make sure to take note of that soon. Thanks!

10 comments:

Abc said...

Sorry you've been getting hate mail. Don't know why people can't just move along if they don't like what they see.

In Search of Morning Sickness said...

That's beyond irritating, annoying, and plain rude about the hate mail. Especially since anyone who's read your blog for any amount of time knows you are such a giver or your time, wisdom, energy, and sympathy. It disgusts me.

Also, I think the job thing sounds wise and like a great opportunity. I went from full time to part time 6 weeks after Elyana was born. It's been hard some times, knowing I HAVE to get in 20 hrs/wk, but doing it from home is really the way to go. I'm glad for you! You'll have to tell us more as it moves along.

Mazzy said...

I don't miss working full time at all. The part time gig I'm doing is just enough to keep me stimulated and earn enough money to feel like I contribute to the household. My life feels perfect, as cheesy and arrogant as it may sound! I feel like I get the best of both worlds. And I hope you find the same, I honestly do. :)

As for the hate mail, well, you know I went through the same and that's why I landed where I did. I love blogging, but couldn't comprehend the unnecessary crap. Why can't people realize that being kind and spreading kindness makes the world a better place?

I LOVE YOU! I THINK YOU ARE FABULOUS! SCREW THE HATERS!

*hugs*

HereWeGoAJen said...

I can't believe someone would send you hate mail. How awful. You certainly don't deserve it.

Anonymous said...

That's great!! Congrats! I would LURVE to find something work-from-home (but probably would have to be full time for me) in a year or so. Can't wait to se how things unfold for you! :)

Joy@WDDCH said...

WOW- people really have nothing better to do than send you hate mail? As though they are high and mighty? Sorry, you probably don't want us to retaliate either but it is very difficult not to!

Anyway, exciting job opportunity and I can't wait to hear about it!

Mrs. Piggy said...

I have no clue how anyone could take issue with any of your posts. People must seriously having nothing better to do!

Congrats on your new job. Looking forward to hearing about it!

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

I have a little sign on my blog which reads..."Mean People Suck".

It's true. They do.

As for me, I love your blog. I've fought infertility for years...only to have a 2nd trimester loss at 24 weeks last year. You inspire and motivate me every time I read "Taking The Statistical Bullet". Keep it up!

And good luck with the job. It's great that you can do it from home.

K @ ourboxofrain said...

I'm sorry you're getting less-than-kind email -- that sucks and is both uncalled for and unnecessary.

Congrats on finding a non-scam part-time work-from-home job. Awesome!

kim said...

Well then, yeah, definately take the e-mail contact off, cause I would hate to see you stop blogging because of rude insensitive people. I really enjoy reading here, your experience with IF, your adventures with Will, all of it. I don't know where people get off sometimes? (They didn't get hugged enough as a child maybe?)