Monday, March 26, 2012

I am cheating a bit on this post. One of my dear friends e-mailed me to ask for an update and this is my response.

Rebecca is doing as well as can be expected. She has been transferred to a state
of the art neurology facility at the UW, where more tests have revealed...
Nothing different. At this point, she has to recover and rehabilitate and we
just hope and pray that she regains function in both her motor and cognitive
skills.Her sight has fluctuated. She was able to see in her peripheral
left field of vision on Thursday, but that had faded again by Friday. It did
give the doctors a tiny bit more hope that she could regain partial sight, but
the chances are still slim.She has been up and walking short distances
with a walker and her physical therapist. She is a marathon runner, so to see
her struggle to take ten steps in a row is sobering. Considering where she was
last week, however, those steps are a miracle. She does not have the use
or feeling in her left arm and hand, which she finds especially frustrating.
Although she seems to have fairly good cognitive function, she still loses words
a lot, trails off midsentence, or has times when she can't remember things like a
family member's or good friend's name. The good news there is that she is very aware of the
deficits and struggles against them, which the doctors say is a sign of injury
(reversible) vs. damage (irreversible). It is still so difficult, not
knowing exactly what to say or do, but she is hanging in there, and I just try
to do my best. She has good, bad, horrible, and wonderful moments.


To add to that, here are thoughts from today.

I have been able to visit with her almost daily. She tires easily and I try to keep my visits very brief. But she says my visits are her favorite part of the day. They are mine, too. It is hard to see her suffering, but so good just to see her at all. We have had some very tearful, honest conversations, with me telling her things that I honestly thought I would have to read in a eulogy at her funeral. This experience has reminded me not to leave things unsaid with people that I care about.

I brought her her favorite cupcakes today and it brought a smile to her face (she had a bad headache today and hadn't smiled at all, so I was quite proud of this feat). She will be transferred to the rehabilitation floor sometime this week or next and I am arranging for a mani/pedi and also a massage for her (she is very sore from being in bed so much). These things like such little things, and they are, but I just try to do what I can, which isn't much.

4 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Thanks for the update. I've been thinking about her and hoping for good news.

meemawfish said...

Kate,
You are a very good friend and I will continue to pray for Rebecca and her family.
Love,
Meemaw

Joy@WDDCH said...

I've been thinking about your friend and wondering - thank you for updating us. We'll be praying!

Rebecca said...

I'm sure she's so glad that you've been there so much.