Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Pregnant Post

Whew! Monday was certainly an exciting day. It still keeps hitting me that we are having a boy. And the anatomy scan was a turning point for me of sorts. I am really starting to B-E-L-I-E-V-E that this will actually happen, that this baby will be born, healthy and in one piece. I am sure that as the days pass, some fears will come again. However, our little man looked so healthy on that screen, and everything seems okay for now. So, for the time being, I am at peace, and loving every minute of it.

It's fun telling people the gender. One thing always surprises me, though, and that is that everyone assumes my HUSBAND is thrilled. They will say things like, "Oh, Daddy must be happy" or "How excited IS your husband?" Part of me gets it: Daddies and their little boys, and part of me wants to say, "Yes, he's happy, but I am excited, too." And the funny thing is, my husband truly had no preference. He IS happy that our baby is a boy, but I know he would have been just as happy with a girl. Yes, he is smiling right now, but I think that is more due to the fact that our little one is healthy, rather that what is between his little legs.

It's not a big deal, really, I just think it's funny that people just assume a man wants a boy and a woman wants a girl. Of course, pregnancy is funny like that, it brings out a lot of stereotypes.

Now that the business of health and gender is taken care of, it's really time to start planning the nursery. I have a long term love affair with Clas.sic P.ooh and have always thought about doing a baby's room in that theme. However, now that the time is here, there are so many cute options for a nursery. We have thought about this design, which I love, but looks hard to keep clean. Here is another one that I think is just too cute for words, and you know how much we love dogs around here. My husband really likes this one, and thinks that we could make this theme last a long time, thus being a little more economical. Finally, this one from Tar.get, the Clas.sic Pooh. I really like all of them, so it will be hard to choose.

And don't get me started on choosing a crib, stroller, car seat, etc. Clothes, books, pacifiers, little things like that are easy, so we have a lot of those things on our registry, and we have plenty of time to decide on the rest.

I was talking to a friend on the phone yesterday, who has been with me since day one of this infertility journey. She was the first person outside of my husband that knew about our first pregnancy and the first person I called after I had my blood drawn for the hcg beta that diagnosed the first miscarriage. We were talking about things other than Baby (can you imagine?) and she said, "You know what, Katie, you sound like your old self. I haven't heard you sound this good in years."

She's right, I can feel parts of my old happiness seeping through. This scares and delights me all at once. I don't think that I will ever be 100% who I was before. Infertility has changed me in so many ways, but I do think it's possible that elements of my pre-miscarriage personality will come back.

17 comments:

Mazzy said...

I am so glad to hear that the "old" happiness is creeping back in. It's an innocent happiness, isn't it?
I love classic Pooh, those are all such great choices. I don't know how you'll ever decide. I have to say that Tigger is the greatest invention ever, though.
*hugs*

HereWeGoAJen said...

Hmm...I have to vote for all four designs! Babies are messy, right, so that's a good excuse to get all the designs and rotate them? :)

Mrs. Shoes said...

I love the puppy one! And also the Creme Brulee (but can see your point about keeping clean).

Kathy V said...

I also think you are right about the longevity of the blue pattern. I would vote for the puppies. That one is so cute. No matter what you decide though, it is perfect.

JuliaS said...

Congrats on your little boy! Glad to hear all looks good.

Enjoy!

Tracy said...

I'm so glad you're happy.

That Nautica bedding is what we have picked out if we have two boys. Coincidental? I think not.

;)

AwkwardMoments said...

You are right - I had a turning point after the anatomy scan. It wasn't so much the sex but the sex and knowing things are "perfect" going well, right on track ..etc,, freeing words for me (and you)

I think your friend is on to something also. I have noticed pieces of the fun me and old me - those pieces are starting to surface.

Have a blast making all these decisions. It's so overwhelming but so healing - take it in and relish it! Go with your gut, pick what YOU want!

Nicky said...

I'm so happy for you! Glad that you can move on from the "worrying" stage to the "decorating" stage. That's an excellent place to be!

K @ ourboxofrain said...

I'm really happy to hear you're finding that happiness again. That's wonderful.

I love all your options. I'm a classic Pooh lover myself, but P thinks it's overdone, which makes me sad. He loves the Nautica one, but we aren't finding out the sex and it's very boyish. I love the Creme Brulee one. Have fun deciding!!

GibsonTwins said...

So glad you are feeling the joy of pregnancy now! Cute bedding choices - Classic Pooh is cute, and on clearance at Target now (we did this C.P. when our twins were really little because it was neutral and so perfect), but now with climbers we don't have anything but sheets on the mattresses now! Carters has BEAUTIFUL nursery decor/bedding etc too.

People must not know what to say to a pregnant woman because people used to say to me (after finding out I was having boy/girl twins) that "you did it all in one shot so you can be done" and I am sure I was less than appropriate in my response.

BTW, you will come across the "mama's boy" stereotype too and it is really true! We have a mama's boy and a daddy's girl (their choice not anyone elses).

Good luck and try to enjoy every minute!

Waiting Amy said...

I know what you mean about the anatomy scan changing your outlook. I actually went and bought more maternity things the last couple days. I even let myself look at crib bedding. I would love to be doing even more shopping, but we will be moving in a few months, so I'm trying to hold off.

I can tell you both are thrilled to be receiving this gift of a beautiful boy!

Searching said...

All very cute sets! Have fun shopping for your son. :)

Geohde said...

Very glad to hear that you're believing and that the old happiness is coming back. As for baby purchases, I'm a little in the deep end as to where to even begin......we've got a while yet, right?
:)

J

Joy said...

Visiting from Mel's Belly blog! I like the first nursery theme (Creme Brulee) becuase I think it will last longer than nautica. It's very cool and you can do a lot with it (even throw a few classic pooh stuff in there as well! The colors all match!).

Glad to hear your infertility has not beaten you down and that you're a NEW WOMAN! Congrats on the son! I hope to stay up-to-date with your blog!

Maria said...

I really like the nautical design, but Classic Pooh is very cute too. I mean, it's a classic right? So you can't go wrong.

It is funny how people, myself included, think that men always want a son.

Adriane said...

I am just catching up with the reading. It's a BOY! That is the best news. I am so happy for you!!!

Antigone said...

You sound so happy! I think your pre-miscarriage personality must definitely be shining through.