Friday, July 30, 2010

Two Weeks Out

I had my two week incision check today. Dr. S's nurse couldn't get over how "fantastic" I looked. I was pretty pleased with the 24 lb. weight drop that we recorded as well as the proclamation that I am healing "beautifully" from Dr. S. I am doing so well that he said I could even start lifting Will occasionally when the need arises. He did say that I shouldn't do it unncessarily and to still have M do most of the heavy lifting, but what a relief to know that I am not going to hurt myself if I do occasionally lift him. With M headed back to work Monday, this will make my life much easier.

The best news I heard at today's appointment, however, is that I am cleared for a tub bath! This is excellent news. I am going to be sinking into a HOT bath after Will is in bed tonight. I don't allow myself hot baths when I am pregnant, so this one has been a long time coming. Although I wouldn't say I have any pain any more, I do have some achiness, and the idea of soaking in the tub sounds marvelous right now.

We discussed birth control, which always seems like such a weird topic to me. But seeing as I have gotten pregnant on birth control three times (even taking it religiously), it is not reliable enough for me. So, we are looking at an IUD, specifically this one. Any experience or thoughts with this?

Other than that, we are kind of chugging along here. Emma continues to do well and is being a pretty easy baby for the most part. She sleeps well at night, waking up every 3 -4 hours to eat. She hates, and I mean HATES, her carseat and screams like a banshee during most car rides which is tough to listen to (and keeps us close to home).

Will is doing better on the tantrum front but still is fighting bedtime. I have decided to just go with the flow until M goes back to work. Then, Mama is in charge again and we are going to put him back on a schedule if it's the last thing I do.

13 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

I'm glad that you are healing beautifully! It's great that you can pick up Will again.

Have you read Taking Charge of Your Fertility? I don't know how well it would work while using birth control, but it might give you some hints when your birth control isn't working as well as it ought to.

S and J plus 4 said...

I had the Mirena and had lots of side effects so apparently I shouldn't have anything with hormone in it. But that is just me and I had bad reactions to the pill too. In general, it was a good choice because you can pretty much forget about it.

Anonymous said...

One of my kids was a carseat-hating baby, too - If it helps any, he got over it once he could be forward facing. (I know, I know... a year from now, not all that comforting :/ but it's something!!)

Katie said...

LOL! Will is still rear-facing as they have updated the recommendations for height and weight. UGH. I will definitely not be able to hang on this long if her strong car-dislike continues. But at least there is light at the end of the tunnel. . . :)

Ms. J said...

for what it's worth...Peanut is fussy/screams in car unless she falls asleep. But will calm down when we put classical music on -- we think this is because Lil Pumpkin begs us to put on "ballet music" as she calls it. So I theorize Peanut recognizes it from the womb (of course this could be total bullsh*t). My point is....does Will have favorite music or CD? Try it and see if Emma calms down. Otherwise....u will learn to time car trips (outside dr appts) for nap time.

I also think that even if Peanut is screaming, LP is not as stressed by it if she can hear her "ballet music."

It is what it is said...

OK, I'll admit that I'm not up on the latest birth control acronyms, but I'm pretty sure that you meant "IUD" and not the fertility treatment "IUI". It would be very ironic indeed if both controlling birth and promoting it used the same acronym :)

Searching said...

My sis has the mirena. She said it REALLY hurt putting it in and the cramps were bad for a couple days, but no probs since. It's been about 1.5y so far.

So thankful for an excellent 2wk report!!! Great news on every front! So happy things are going better, banshee excluded. Just go to your happy place, put on some soothing music, and know it won't last forever!

Laura said...

Glad to hear that you're healing so wonderfully! I have had several friends who have had that specific IUD and they love, love, loved it. But of course, the choice is personal. Good luck getting Will back on track next week!

Heather said...

Congrats on healing so well! We also have a car seat hater. Actually 2 of 3 have hated their car seats. Our oldest didn't get over it until almost 18 months. Our middle was and still is so happy to be in the car. And the baby (3 1/2mo), well, she screamed like crazy the first 2 months in the car. Now, I try to time leaving for right after I feed her and she seems to do much better. Anything that keeps her in the car seat is not fun. And when putting her in the stroller she prefers to lay in the seat instead of being in her car seat in the stroller. Hopefully the car seat hatred passes quickly for Emma. Good luck!

kim said...

I know two people who had Mirena. They could both feel the string that threads through the cervix. One friend had it removed within two weeks as she could not get past the discomfort. The other friend said the string feeling went away after they clipped it a little shorter. She had hers in for about a year and a half but started having irregular periods that along with the hormones kept giving her pregnancy scares. She is back on the pill now.
I also have two friends that had non hormonal IUDs that didn't work out cause of super heavy periods, although one friend had hers for about 2 years before she had problems. Not trying to be a downer on IUDs, Hope you find something that works well for you.

Good to hear that you're healing so wonderfully, Enjoy your bath!

A New Beginning said...

I used Mirena for about 1 1/2 years and thought it was the best ting ever. No spotting, no periods, nothing. I don't remember if I had cramping after insertion, so it must not have been that bad. I will certainly be having another one put in after this child gets here.

Rebecca said...

I have the Mirena and I love it so much...some spotting ever 3-4 months, but that's it. No side effects...if anything, I'm more balanced than I was before the kids. No periods...no bitchiness...that equals happy marriage. Good luck with your decision though...

Christina said...

Bit late, but re mirena; I've had it about 2 months now and no problems. Perhaps a little pms-y but I couldn't tolerate the pill so much better. Also, have a friend who has had it a couple of years and swears by it. It hurt a bit going in and I had a bit of cramping but they get you to take painkillers an hour before so it wasn't too bad.