Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Organizing Is SUCH A Headache

If you've been following my blog for a bit, then you know I am not that organized. I have been making a concerted effort to be more organized, both for the simple fact that I don't like being disorganized and also because I want my life to be easier.

I had a few what I guess flylady would call "hot zones" in my house and I called Closets of Death. These were closets that I really didn't want people to open, mostly for the embarassment factor of how messy they were, and also for the very small fact that you could get beaned on the head from something flying out at you. Yeah, they were that bad.

Over the course of the last five months, I have done some major work on these hot zones. I am very proud of myself for the strides I have made. This is a big deal for me. One closet, in particular, has been troublesome to me because the builder-installed (ie, cheap) organizer fell apart as I was organizing it, so three of the five shelves were tilting downward. This is the hallway linen closet, so mostly, it still worked for its purposes as towels can sit crookedly and still be okay. But I still wanted to fix it and it was on my list of things to do before Emma arrived. I looked high and low to find brackets that would solve the problem and finally did. Then, of course, other projects loomed and I finally found my way back to this closet today.

I grabbed my trusty screw driver, emptied the shelves I was working on, and started to work on the first bracket. Now, remember, this is a cheap unit and the reason it wasn't working in the first place is because the brackets snap off easily. Well, perhaps I should have remembered this. On the top shelf (which wasn't broken) I was storing some jewelry boxes. It was all carefully organized, so I didn't want to take the time to take it all down. Well. . .

Yeah.

As I was working on the bracket below, it jostled the post, snapping the bracket off the top shelf, which caused that shelf to slide sideways and the jewelry boxes to fall off the shelf. . . and onto me. I only got smacked square on the head by one, but it happened to be the heaviest, of course.

My Closet of Death finally got me! I am glad that I was the only serious victim of my own madness. I had teased about this condition for so long that I guess it was high time I realized it was no laughing matter. And I didn't laugh. Not at all. Nope, in full fledged hormonal overdrive, I cried instead. Great big heaving, gulping sobs. I was angry because now I have an even bigger mess on my hands and also a headache. I didn't accomplish anything during Will's nap time and I only have three naptimes left, people. Three.

So, I came to the only logical conclusion. I shoved everything back on the now extremely sideways shelves, went into my bedroom, climbed into bed, and took a nap. I'll figure this one out later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A nap always makes things better!! You need to be careful!

HereWeGoAJen said...

Agreed! A nap was obviously the right choice here. You'll get it fixed.