Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Queasy Monsters Have Arrived

Will has a book called "Birthday Monsters," by Sandra Boynton. It's about five birthday monsters who barge in on your birthday and basically treat you like crap. At the end of the book, a Monster Cleaning Crew comes in and and takes care of everything and presents are left behind.
I feel that morning sickness is kind of like those birthday monsters, only my little guests are the Queasy Monsters. They barge in and make me feel like crap.

I am grateful to feel like crap. I know that feeling like crap is something that a lot of women would kill for if it meant a healthy baby. But it is still hard to feel sick and manage a toddler, just as it was hard to feel sick and work outside the home last time I was pregnant. The only difference is that Will is obviously a 24/7 job that gives no evenings or weekends. When I was having a really awful day, I could also call in sick. There is no calling in sick to motherhood.

It still does come and go through out the day. Sometimes, I feel okay, sometimes, I am looking to make sure the path to the bathroom is clear. I alternate between being really hungry, but nothing sounds good to being full on nauseous. I feel as if this is starting a bit earlier this time than with Will. I didn't really start to get the sick feeling until later on in week six and more like early week seven and I have the blog posts to prove it. I don't know if that means anything regarding gender or prognosis of the pregnancy. I have been pretty sick in all of my pregnancy and was actually the most sick with Gummy Bear and I have had friends who felt different in each pregnancy and had a boy or girl both times. So, I don't necessarily believe in the wives' tales of sick mom = healthy pregnancy or sick mom = either gender. What I do think is that in general, it is a good sign. And I will stick with that for now. I suppose if you have to feel crappy, it should be for a good reason, right?

Like the Birthday Monsters, who eventually do leave behind nice gifts for your birthday, the Queasy Monsters do leave behind a pretty nice gift, too, in the form of a baby. So for that reason, I "welcome" my new friends. Remind me of that in the coming days, won't you, please?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is very nice. Wish you happy!

PamalaLauren said...

I don't remember being this sick or tired when I was pregnant with my daughter at all. I remember the sickness came on in the 2nd trimester and stuck around but it wasn't this bad and I sure wasn't as tired. I think it has to do with having a 3 year old to manage this time around. But I'm worn out. I see sickness as a good thing, but frankly it's wearing me out. LOL!

Ms. J said...

We have the "Birthday Monsters" book, too - actually all of the books by that author are big hits in our house.

I look back and wonder how I made it through the weeks you are in muddling through right now, with my Lil Pumpkin afoot. I remember needing to lay down on the couch (feet elevated) from precisley 5 - 7 p.m. for about 4 weeks, because I felt weak and exhausted.

How any laundry got done, bills paid, or toys stowed were accomplished by me is still something I haven't been able to account for (and it wasn't Dr. J, I assure you).

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the crappy feelings. I can't imagine it's easy to have no down time. I imagine when I hopefully can be pregnant with #2, it will be difficult to work all day and then get house things done in the evenings all while still trying to keep up the energy level to be a good mom. I'm sure it will be exhausting. Being a working mom means no weekends or evenings either. Ahh, the things we do for motherhood.

Beth said...

So happy for you, Katie! Congrats on week 6, and welcome Queasy Monsters! Sorry to hear you feel so yucky, especially with taking care of Little Big Man. Take advantage of nap time with Will. Also, it's definitely okay to let some things go for now. The laundry, house, cooking, and cleaning up with always be there, waiting.... ;)
Wishing, hoping & praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Morning sickness is such a funny thing. You never want to wish it away, but when you're in it's immediate throws you wish you were someone else! I had it bad with this pregnancy. With Lemy it started a bit later in terms if severity, but with Jasper I started hurling the same weekend I POAS. Go figure. It's a good sign regardless, and while I do hope your queasiness is outweighed by feeling good, I definitely will not be wishing it goes away completely! ;) ((hugs))

peesticksandstones said...

Hang in there! I recall so clearly that feeling from exactly one year ago -- the aversions/triggers. Suddenly not being able to even be in the same room with stuff I normally love like garlic, mushrooms, butternut squash. Carrying saltines and a plastic just-in-case barf bag with me on the subway. God, and puking or at least gagging my buns off every time I brushed my teeth. Had to even switch to a toothpaste that grossed me out slightly less (cinnamon worked for some reason).

Can't even imagine what it must be like while on mom-duty all day! Hope you're able to take comfort in carbs and get through the day okay...

Laura said...

I'm just going to say it....I think it's a girl (I've got a 50% chance of being right, right?). I was SICK the ENTIRE pregnancy with Kate. Either way, try some ginger (snaps, ale, candy, tea...it doesn't matter which way), Sea Bands, lemon drops. And although it stinks to feel sick, I'm glad you are. Still looking forward to hearing about your adventures with Will and this pregnancy! Now, go rest!!!!

Joy@WDDCH said...

Doesn't make you any less grateful to be pregnant just because you don't want to feel ill! It is HARD to be sick and be a mom at the same time, especially to a child as young as Will. Hang in there sweetie pie! Remember what awaits at the end- sweet chubby cheeks and baby feet!

Courtney said...

Thank you so much for your nice comment on my blog about the cyst issue. It really helps me to know there are positive outcomes out there. I sincerely appreciate your heartfelt words.

*Congratulations to you! It is great to hear that you are pregnant again and that things are progressing well. I will also be sending lots of good, positive thoughts your way.