Saturday, February 28, 2009

How They Grow

I am in no hurry to see Will grow up. But he doesn't seem to care what my thoughts are on the matter.

Nope, he is in a hurry to do, do, do and grow, grow, grow. This is the normal order of things, I suppose. I was e-mailing another blogger-mom-friend today and admitted that I am a mixture of emotions when it comes to Will's development.

Obviously, first and foremost, I am glad to see that he is hitting milestones as he should. He is ahead on some, behind on others, on time on most. We spend a lot of time with older babies and toddlers, and I notice that after a playdate where he sees his nine month old "girlfriend" doing something, he seems more eager to try himself. This week, he really amped up his scooting efforts and managed to move a few inches.

Each time he hits a new developmental milestone, I feel a strange tug in my heart. Of course, I am filled with maternal pride that my Little Man is doing exactly as he should. But I also feel a tiny prick of regret, knowing that these fleeting moments of infancy are quickly passing us by.

Here are some of the things that sweet baby Will can already do at six months old . . .

He holds his own bottle.

He sits up. . .


. . . even in a cart (and I got some funny looks when I was taking his picture).

And he steals my heart each and every day. Then again, he's been doing that from day one.

11 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

I hear ya. I was watching MT crawl acrossed the floor and pull up on his toy the other day and I was bursting with pride and brimming with tears of joy and nostaglia

Tracy said...

What a BIG BOY! I love the picture in the cart (and I will probably do the same when the time comes...)

I totally know what you mean...hitting these milestones in so bittersweet.

RBandRC said...

What a cutie pie he is! It's hard to watch them grow, but its exhilarating at the same time. With every stage, I miss the old Lemy but it doesn't take long for me to fall in love with the new Lemy. ((HUGS))

HereWeGoAJen said...

I know exactly how you feel. Elizabeth isn't even three months old yet and I feel it all slipping away too quickly.

Lori said...

I know what yo mean also, with each week that passes and a new skill is learned, I am both proud and sad at the same time.

Joy said...

Oh how I understand! Watching them grow is so bittersweet. And can I just say Will is so stinking cute!!!

Mazzy said...

He really is getting so big, isn't he? I cannot even remotely begin to understand that feeling yet, but I know I will. You're just doing you're job too well, Katie! ;-) He is an ever growing reflection of you.
*hugs*

Jen said...

Holding his own bottle, yay! I eagerly await that day. Although I'm totally with you on not wanting my little one to grow up too quickly.

Anonymous said...

Your son's a doll!

And just wanted to let you know that when you click on the 'follow me on Twitter' link it gives an error message and says 'this page doesn't exist'.

Debby said...

oh i'm glad i'm not the only crazy mom who's taken a pic of my son in the shopping cart!

He's so cute!

Anonymous said...

I love when you post pictures of Will. He is just so darn cute (of course, I probably don't have to tell you that!). It seems they do grow up fast, though I haven't experienced it myself. What a great Mommy you are!