Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Beat Goes On

I love the nurse at my OB's office.

The heartbeat was nice and strong and picked up right away. It had gone down to about 136 BPM, which is a lot lower than the 150s it had been at, but that is still fine as that tends to happen as the pregnancy progresses.

My heartrate was in the 100's itself, no doubt from all of the worrying.

The reason that I love N so much is that she told me that I should come in every week for a heartbeat check, if I want, even if it's for the rest of my pregnancy. She said that it's her favorite part of the job and that I shouldn't feel silly after all we've been through. Next week is my regular monthly visit with Dr. S and then the anatomy scan is the week after that, so I am covered for the next two weeks. But after that, I might have to take her up on more frequent heartbeat checks, if for no other reason than the fact that it might be the most beautiful sound in the whole world.

We also heard a louder, one-time thump, which she said was a kick. I didn't feel a thing from the outside, but it was cute to hear it. N also said that I could realistically start feeling the baby at any time, but that I shouldn't expect regular movement until 28 weeks or later. Basically, she was trying to prevent the freakouts that we all know are coming later. . . when Baby doesn't move enough!

I just have to thank you all again for your love and support. This pregnancy after recurrent loss business is tough and I am just so humbled by the time that you give to help me through it.

I am so emotionally drained right now, that I am heading for a nap.

13 comments:

Polka Dot said...

yay!! I kept refreshing and refreshing. I was all sorts of worried hah

Soooo glad it's all ok and that the baby is active (kicking, even!).

Take your well deserved nap.

AwkwardMoments said...

Fantastic news Katie. GOod for you and N. It is so helpful when OB's offices "get it".

*if this makes you feel any better, Mini's heart rate dropped from 168-155(52) depending on the appointment and the doppler operator. Sending you my love and thoughts for the next couple appointments

Anonymous said...

I am so glad! The nurse rocks!

Waiting Amy said...

Whew! I'm glad you got that reassurance and the promise of more in the future. That's wonderful.

Hang in there! Take a nap and enjoy the rest of the week.

Christy said...

Wonderful news! I am so glad that you are at ease now and that your nurse is so caring and all about making you calm. Hope you enjoyed your nap.

Prairie Girl said...

Great news on the beautiful sound of the baby's heart beat! I'm really thrilled for you that you have a Nurse and office that is going to let you hear it every week. That's great news!! :D

Sorry I've been MIA from commenting, I'm starting to get back into the flow again. ;)

Geohde said...

From one worrier to another, I get it. The best thing to do is plan to have access to reassurance. That was it doesn't overwhelm things.

J

Annalien said...

So glad your husband could make it AND that you heard the heartbeat. I have not been through one ounce of what you have been through, yet I also worried myself sick during my pregnancies, so I get the worry. Totally take your nurse up on the offer of a weekly heartbeat check!

Me said...

Great news!

Laura said...

I am so glad! And how neat to actually hear a kick! :)

Ms. J said...

Sounds like you have found a GREAT office! Kudos to them for understanding how SPECIAL this baby is, and for giving you the extra attention that will go a long way :o)

Tracy said...

My heart is so warmed for you...great news. And I love N, too.

Mazzy said...

what lovely news! and what a fabulous nurse.
i am so glad to hear things are still going great and the "silent" kick is so awesome.
*hugs*