Thursday, September 20, 2007

Crying In Hallmark

I was in a Hallmark store yesterday, picking out a birthday card for my mother-in-law. I was reading the cards and trying to pick one with good meaning. It was then that I had a horrible thought.

What if I never have a daughter or son to buy me a Birthday card? Or a Christmas card? Or any card at all?

I felt the tears burning behind my eyes and tried to think about other things. But it was too late and too much. The tears started spilling onto my cheeks.

I put back the card that I had been looking at and got out of there fast. One of the store clerks yelled after me to have a nice day. I passed a pregnant woman out on the sidewalk on my way to my car.

I guess I can add another store to the list of "Public Places That I Have Cried In."

2 comments:

Kristen said...

(((HUGS))) I'm so sorry. Our thoughts really haunt us no matter where we go.

At least you wouldn't be the only woman who's ever cried in Hallmark! They will just think you thought their cards were so beautiful Bah! :)

Polka Dot said...

You're definitely not alone. I've cried in all sorts of stores.

And you will have a child some day. You may give birth to your child or you may get your child another way. But you will

*hugs*