Sunday, March 27, 2011

Little Moments

When I was wondering how on earth I would manage life with 2, a commentor (not sure who and too tired to look back through the archives - raise your hand if it's you so I can credit you) said that it would be chaotic, stressful, and crazy, but there would be little moments where I would meet everyone's needs and everyone would be happy and I would feel like a rockstar. That pretty much sums up having more than one kid. Life is constantly crazy. I sometimes don't even realize how nuts things are until we have guests over and I catch a look at their faces while I do my usual triage/juggling routine. When seen through their eyes, I guess our life can be pretty hectic. I have learned to block out a lot. I deal with it as it comes and as fast as I can and don't let the chaos get to me on most days (most, I said!). Most of the time, I actually enjoy the noise, the pace, the days that pass in a busy blur. I am gaining immunity to the moments that might drive others nuts. But the moments that I am not immune to? The little moments where both of my children are content. . . when I have a baby in each arm and a heart filled with love. . . when their little faces look up at me. . . and I do feel like a rockstar. . . and a Mommy. Today, Will wanted to build a tent. So we did. With a blanket, the couch, and Emma's exersaucer. After we built the tent, he wanted his books. So we read in the tent. Emma woke up from her nap and Will wanted his sister in his tent. I offered a "camping lunch," which he eager accepted, but only if "Emma gets 'camping lunch' too". As I made lunch, I heard Emma start to fuss and before I could get there to intervene, I heard Will say, "Don't worry, Emma Drace, I'll get you another toy." I delivered "camping lunch" (nothing really special, just getting to eat in his tent) and watched as Will offered his sister the Gerber snack I had placed on his plate for just that purpose. As he munched on a carrot stick, he reached out with his other hand and absentmindedly patted his sister's hand. She smiled at him and then they both laughed. Thank God for these little moments. And all the other moments in between.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww, too sweet! SuperMommy to the camping lunch rescue!

Rebecca said...

That is awesome! Those moments make it all worthwhile!

We did a pizza picnic the other night and it was a huge hit!

HereWeGoAJen said...

That's so sweet. And you are a rockstar.

Studentrntiffany said...

This is such a beautiful post. I am all misty eyed from reading!!

Patty said...

That was a really sweet story, Katie. Thanks for sharing

Searching said...

Awwww, sniff, sniff! They must melt you to pieces. :)

Mazzy said...

Good to hear... I have such days of panic sometimes as I think about my impending reality. I know it will be fine, just sometimes need to hear things like this!
xoxo

Tracy said...

I don't want credit, because I'm not absolutely SURE it was me, but it does sound like something I would say. :)

I am so glad you shared that moment with us. It warmed my cockles. And I completely know what you mean.