Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Day Two

So far, I am really enjoying this Detox Plan. First and foremost, I think it's because it's not a diet, in that we are not trying to lose weight, so I feel no stress from it. Secondly, I love to eat this way. Raw fruits and veggies, wholesome protein, and some good fats. It feels good.

I did switch out our menu last night. We had black bean tacos instead of the carrot ginger soup. I figured I didn't want to shock my meat-loving husband's system too much. The tacos were soooo easy to make (onions and green pepper sauteed in oil with some cumin, salt, and pepper - then add some minced garlic, chopped tomatoes, diced green chiles, black beans, and freshly ground flax seeds - served with corn tortillas with fresh tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, guacomole, and brown rice) and were seriously amazing. . . so much flavor! I didn't even miss the cheese or sour cream that I would normally pile on a taco.

I am seriously loving this so far. Of course, it's only Day Two. Here is what we are eating today.

Breakfast

Gluten-free toast with almond butter and sliced bananas
Brown rice topped with almond butter and apricot

Snack

Sliced apple with almond butter

Lunch

Leftover tacos

Snack

Carrots and celery with hummus

Dinner

Carrot-ginger soup
Cabbage and carrot slaw

I have also been drinking lemon water like it's my job. Which means that I have also been using the bathroom a lot, but I think that's a good thing. I also made an awesome spiced coffee with brown rice milk that I drank throughout the day (I used decaf coffee since I am nursing, but it tasted great!).

Overall, I am just happy to be eating healthy, wholesome food. I will admit that it's taking more time and pre-planning than my meals usually require, but I am glad to be taking the extra time to do something that feels good for my body. It's so easy for us moms to put our well-being at the bottom of our to-do list so it feels good to be doing something for me which also happens to benefit our kids.

Also, I got an e-mail from a concerned reader about nursing and doing a vegan detox. I just wanted to let everyone know that I checked in with my OB and since this is such a well-balanced eating plan and not "cleanse" diet (a cleanse by definition would have no solid food - just liquids), this it is okay for breastfeeding. Just wanted to reassure everyone that I would never, ever put anything above Emma's health and well-being. Honestly, I ate more yesterday than I usually would. If I start to have any adverse effects, I will add back a lean protein source and/or dairy as recommended by my doctor. I am also continuing to take my prenatal vitamin and a calcium supplement.

3 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Good! I am glad it is going well.

Mazzy said...

The brown rice and black bean tacos were my ABSOLUTE fav detox meal. I still crave them all the time. I don't know how you do it, but if you put a tsp of olive oil in a small pan and heat your tortilla up on both sides, the texture is AMAZING. It's like between a crispy and soft taco, so YUM. The wheat substitutions were probably the hardest for me. I managed ok with spelt breads, rice crackers, etc, but the alternatives to whole wheat are EXPENSIVE and somewhat hard to find. I also made a really unbelievable garlic soup recipe by Martha Stewart that was shocking detox friendly and AMAZING.

I'm rooting you on! You're going to kill this!

Mazzy said...

Oh, also wanted to suggest rice pasta to you. I found both rice and quinoa based spaghetti noodles and made my own pasta sauce and chopped fresh garlic and onion with a bit of olive oil in with some fresh green salad on the side... AMAZING. Just amazing. Oh, also throw in some arthichoke hearts, that's good eating.

Honestly? Now that I think about it? I probably only eat meat 3 times a week following the detox now where as before it was EVERY night.