Sunday, May 30, 2010

Still. Sick.

Will is still sick. He has no appetite. He is thirsty and chugging down enormous amounts of pedialyte. I am grateful that he likes it, because I would be getting very concerned about dehydration if he weren't at least taking that. He hasn't vomited since Saturday morning (thank goodness) but he is still having a lot of "other end" troubles. His poor lil' bottom is so raw and red and nothing is working. I haven't had to break out the diaper rash creams in a long time. He never really had bad diaper rash (a couple of times here and there, but usually it resolved quickly), so this is a first. I have given him oatmeal baths and am slathering on the a&d, Aquaphor, and wiping as gently as I can during changes. What would probably work best is to let him run around nakey, but I honestly can't stomach the thought of cleaning up the mess.

M is still sick, too. He is not horribly sick, but his cough is deep and in his chest. The three day weekend was good timing, in that he can have more time to rest.

The "good" part about Will being sick? He is in love with his bed. He is asking. . . no, begging, for naps and bedtime. He took a 3 1/2 hour nap yesterday and woke up later than usual, which would usually mean a later bedtime. He was asking for bed a half hour before we would usually put him down. Today, I attempted to give him lunch, and he took one bite of banana and started crying for "bed, please." Kind of cute and sad all at once.

So, that's what's going on around here, at Casa de Sick. What's happening on your long weekend?

8 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

You could try letting him sit nakey in the empty bathtub for a while. Maybe with some books and toys. Or you could try getting a cheap pack of training pants or underwear. If you were watching close enough, that would probably contain the mess long enough for you to get it before it got spread around.

Oh, and when Elizabeth has a bad rash (now), I skip wiping at diaper changes and just sit her in the sink or tub for a second afterward. That way I am not rubbing the rash at all but it is still getting nice and clean.

Searching said...

Any chance of unfolding his diaper when he sleeps and you are nearby to prevent any squirming around in poop? Even an hour of air to it would help. Poor man! You guys have had too much sickness lately!

Rebecca said...

Poor baby...that's the worst. Have you tried Butt paste on top of the aquaphor...that always worked for mine. Not my diaper rash...my kids...ugh!

Christy said...

We are having the exact same weekend here. It sucks.

Anonymous said...

are u guys living in an older home? my friends son was ALWAYS sick and as soon as they moved into a newer home, he's been so healthy! also, instead of wiping him bum, try just washing it, its more gentle and ur not rubbing the rash and hes still getting clean. hope u guys feel better.

Katie said...

Our house is 6 years old, but I will say that M is wondering about getting the air tested for molds. It would be unlikely, but if we had a leak or something, it's possible. The only thing is that I am not getting sick, but they might have an allergy to it that I don't.

Sunny said...

Oh no! I am so sorry for poor Will... and mama. That's no fun at all. I hope he (and his bum) are starting to feel better. :(

Anonymous said...

you should maybe take him in for some blood work. It is NOT normal for a child to be sick as much as he is. Especially one who is not in a daycare environment. I have read your blog since your childs birth.