Friday, March 19, 2010

Friday Night Leftovers

Friday already? Actually, to be honest, this week has seemed kind of long to me. So I am ready for Friday. And I am always ready for Leftovers!

1. Last week, my MIL watched Will for me while I went to physical therapy. It went pretty well. She got here about five minutes before I had to leave for the appointment, and I was concerned that the quick transition might not go so well. Well, he didn't cry so much as one tear. He was thrilled to see me when I got home, but he was interacting well with her for the rest of the day. I also went to the grocery store for about an hour to give them another chance to be together. He was a little fussier about it that time, but no major meltdowns. All in all, it was a success.

2. Turns out that ordinary PT is not going to help me with my shoulder. My therapist has diagnosed me with a "mystery" shoulder separation of the AC joint. It's a mystery to both of us because usually this type of injury follows a major fall or blunt force trauma to the shoulder. I can't think of either of those things happening at any time in my life, let alone in the past two years. She has referred me to an orthopedic surgeon for a more offcial work up and diagnosis. Ugh.
3. Will threw his first public trantrum today. Fortunately, it was in a kid-friendly location. Unfortunately, it was in front of a friend who has a child Will's age who has yet to throw a tantrum. She was really nice about it, but you could see her thinking, "Glad that's not my kid!" While I am very glad he's mine, I am nervous about the Terrible Twos looming in the not-so-distant future. Oh and the reason for the tantrum? I wouldn't let him walk around with his snack. Yeah, I am a mean old mama.

4. We are going up to my MIL's tomorrow to give them more time together and the added bonus of some time off for M and me. We are going to have a picnic and see a matinee. I am almost as excited as I was for our first date. I am ready for some Mama Time!

Have a wonderful weekend!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that Will's time with your MIL went so well! And yeah for getting to go on a date!

And I have been in the tantrum boat plenty of times - good luck, and I hope it is a rare occurance for you!

Anonymous said...

Its not really the terrible twos. its the threes that are the worst.

Danifred said...

So happy that the drop off went smoothly, it's so much easier since Mommy guilt is the worst.

We have big,fat tantrumers in our house!

Katie said...

Anon,

I have heard that, too. I have also heard that the "half" years (18 and 36 months) are actually the hardest. Either which way. . . tantrums are not fun!

K @ ourboxofrain said...

It's awesome that Will's time with you MIL was a success (I am sure she was thrilled too), though I'm sad to hear that the PT appointment came with disappointing news. Ugh.

We have avoided truly public tantrums thus far, but have definitely endured some in our front doorway, so close enough to public. Most of ours are because we don't allow our child to live outside in the cold or the rain or overnight. Clearly, we are awful people. I think the age our boys are at is just a tantrum-heavy age, and hopefully not a harbinger of things to come.

Beth Zimmerman said...

What a blessing to have Grandma nearby and ready to baby-sit and build a beautiful relationship with your kids while she's at it!

Sorry about your shoulder. Hope the doctor finds an answer and you find healing soon!

Rebecca said...

It's so nice when you can leave and not fret, isn't it?

In terms of your friend, if her kid hasn't had a public tantrum, she will...then she'll be like, "gee, I wish I had helped out more rather than just watching." It's the worst feeling in the world, but it happens to all of us!

Anonymous said...

For my kids, 18 months was much harder than 2! they just can't communicate enough yet at 18 months so throwing a fit seems like the best solution. Then 3 is frustrating because you know that they know better. It all passes, though!

Tracy said...

Hah! Rowan has several tantrums per day, so don't feel bad. I think it just depends on the personality. Today Rowan cried and screamed because I took her fork from her after she kept stabbing the wall with it, and then again at the barber shop (for Evan's 4TH, yes, 4TH haircut) when I wouldn't let her play in the hair clippings.

A shoulder separation HURTS! I can't believe you've been living with that!!!! I had that injury after being plowed into by a shortstop (I was 3rd baseman) and it KILLED. I hope you get some relief soon. A sling really helped me, but I know that's probably not practical for you.