Sunday, October 26, 2008

Whole Milk

We had Will's two month check up on Thursday. You know what that means. . . the dreaded vaccinations. I was nervous all day.

Will surprised me with how well he did. The first vaccination was an oral one, which he took like a champ. He seemed to like the flavor and didn't spit any back out.

After that, M had to hold Will's arms down while the nurse poked him in the thigh with the first shot. To all of our amazement, he didn't make a peep!

Of course, he did start crying for the second and third shots, but it wasn't the horrible wailing that I had been expecting. And the minute that I picked him up, he stopped! We did give him some Ty.lenol before the visit and then four hours later, just as a precaution, but he seemed fine. I was really relieved.

Also, there is no question that Will is thriving. I am just not sure that Little Man is an appropriate nickname any more! He weighed in at 13 pounds, 8 ounces! Even though I am not a fan of percentiles, I will share that is in the 86th percentile, just to give you a reference for how much that is. We asked how much is "too much" when it comes to weight gain, but the pediatrician assured us that BMI and such doesn't come into play until 2 years of age. She said that breastfed babies tend to put on weight faster in the early months and then slow down later and actually have less problems with obesity. She said that he is healthy and that babies bodies do what they need to and not to worry. I told her that we were on an every three hour feeding schedule and she said that was fine and not to move to a four hour feeding schedule until he was four months old.

My only concern out of the appointment is that when she put Will on his tummy, he would not lift his head. He had been doing that pretty consistently, but we didn't get a lot of tummy time at my parents house (they have three dogs, plus my two, so it was a zoo). It was a 6:00 appointment, so she just said that he was probably tired, but to watch it at home. Well, I have done tummy time every day since, and he is not lifting his head anymore. I find it strange that he could do it and now isn't. I am hoping he is just feeling a bit lazy right now.

4 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

YAh for Lil Man, glad he is doing well .... If it helps any MT has stopped rolling over after weeks of doing nothing but rolling over. I hope it's just laziness.

Amy said...

Dude, he is a champ!! Good work all around mama!!! Can't wait to see him again....

HereWeGoAJen said...

Obviously, Will is a genius and is fully succeeding at growing up. I am delighted that he is doing so well!

Amanda said...

I'm so glad he's doing so well! And even better that all the shots weren't too traumatic for you!