Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Clumsy Oaf

So, my husband and I also did something else momentous this weekend.

Drumroll, please. . .

We cleaned our garage.

Now, for those of you organized minimalists out there, that might not be such a big deal. For us, it's a huge deal. We are packrats, we are not particularly organized, and we had a mountain of crap to face.

We didn't just shove the boxes around, either. No, we spent $500 on expensive, heavy duty shelving that took my husband most of Saturday to drill into the wall and put in place. It looks phenomenal. We also bought bins to replace the cardboard boxes still leftover from our last move five years ago. Everything is stacked, labeled, and organized. I should take pictures.

This was the first step in the three phase "Project Nursery." The next step is to empty the nursery (which is now my unorganized home office) of everything, which will be another weekend project, maybe even next weekend.

The last step, of course, will be the most fun. The actual painting, decorating, organizing, etc., of the nursery itself. We still haven't picked furniture, colors, paint, or bedding, but I have it narrowed down to a few choices.

But getting the garage cleaned out was the part that I was fearing the most. Now that it's out of the way, we are a big step closer toward having a lovely nursery for our Little Man.

Of course, the reason for the post title still needs to be explained. You see, my job was to hand the lighter boxes up to my husband while he teetered precariously on a ladder - we have a very high garage. I was taking one very light box over to him when I tripped over a broom that I had left laying on the ground.

Yep, I fell.

I didn't land on my stomach, rather my right arm and wrist took the brunt of the fall. Obviously, I checked for spotting the rest of Sunday and was nervous until I felt Baby Boy moving later on that night. But he seems okay and I did some googling, all of which leads me to believe that he fine in his cozy house.

Just call me Grace.

15 comments:

Mrs. Shoes said...

Yay for getting organized! I need to do that one of these days too.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Way to go Katie (and husband)! An organized space is like a breath of fresh air (this coming from the girl whose house looks like a dump truck unloaded on every possible level object). You should post pictures, I'd love to see it. On any given trip to Home Depot or Lowes, my husband can generally find me in the home organization aisles, just oogling the shiny shelves and colorful totes. :)

Jen said...

I don't even want to think about how much crap there is in our garage! It is hard to find the time and energy for a big organization project, but it does feel soooo good when it is done. I definitely think you should post a pic! I'm glad that you and the baby are fine post fall.

Maria said...

YAY for 24 Weeks!!

I'm so sorry that you fell, but I'm glad that you and baby boy are alright.

Mazzy said...

Oh no about the fall! I am glad you are ok!
Pictures are a must. Clean garages are hard to come by! I started organizing ours one day and Husband got PISSED. That was HIS space and not mine to intrude. Pardon me, garage master!

HereWeGoAJen said...

I fell on the stairs a while back too and that made me nervous. I am glad everything is okay.

I want to see pictures of the garage! I love organization!

Tracy said...

I cringed when I got to that part of your post...you know the one... the part where you said "I fell." Ugh. Please be careful!

I'm so glad you got the garage all organized. I'm sure that's a load off, eh?

K @ ourboxofrain said...

I'm impressed that you actually completed a project -- we're all about starting things and not finishing, which isn't great.

As for the fall, I vote you wrap your midsection in bubblewrap for the next 16 weeks to avoid any dangers.

AwkwardMoments said...

WOW congrats on that big undertaking.

I am glad to read that you are ok. It's a wonder our minds, nerves survive pregnancy

Amy said...

I fell on my arse/side 2wice and look at my twinks! Perfect so far! LOL! You are fine, but seriously take it easy since you will be super busy once the lil man arrives!!

Adriane said...

Your fall sounds scary!! I'm so glad you and your baby boy are OK! Yay for organizing. I bet the garage looks great!

Antigone said...

I'm so glad you're okay. I'm sure the fall was scary.

I'm 5 wks along. Maybe I should be an optimist and start my nursery.

sara said...

I'm glad you and the little one are okay after your fall! I'm a clumsy girl often, I am famous for falling going up the steps, don't ask how..just picture it :-) Yay for organizing, you may have inspired me to start a little nursery/cleaning planning myself. Well I should say cleaning for my husband until I'm allowed to get my lazy butt moving again :-) Thanks for stopping by to say hi!

Joy said...

*CLAPPING HANDS* Not because you fell (ouch) but because you guys have gotten a VERY major project out of the way. I can only imagine how much your back must ache after that.

Don't you feel so refreshed and excited after getting that done?! Can't wait to see pictures!!!

Me said...

I "own" half of our garage. It houses the gardening tools and my car. My husband "owns" the other half of the garage. It is LITERALLY a mountain of tools. I hate it. He REFUSES to clean it, claiming it's HIS half and HIS tools and so why should it have to be according to MY standard. It frustrates me to no end that he has a point. *grrrr*