Thursday, January 17, 2008

Sick and Tired

I am thrilled to be pregnant. I just want that made clear. I don't want anyone thinking that this post detracts from my joy.

That being said. . .

I don't think that I have ever felt this tired in my entire life. The combination pregnancy hormones and what I am calling my phenergan hangover make me feel like I have chugged an entire bottle of heavy duty nighttime cough syrup. I feel underwater.

The medications keep me from vomiting, but they don't keep me from feeling like I want to. Every bite seems like a battle. I get hungry, then go stand in front of my refrigerator, desperate for something to appeal to me. Usually, I come away empty handed. Watching television has become tortuous. Has anybody else realized how many food commercials they have on?

Yesterday, my husband went to the store on a mission for two things that I thought sounded pretty good. White bread for cinnamon toast and chocolate pudding. The chocolate pudding was pretty okay, until it didn't settle right and gave me the rolling feeling of nausea for the rest of the night. Continuing his desperate attempts to get me to eat something, he made me toast and brought it to me in bed this morning. What a guy!

Of course, it goes without saying, this is all worth it for our baby. But can the second trimester please hurry up!

11 comments:

Samantha said...

I hope you feel better soon! And I'm thrilled things are going so well!

Tracy said...

I'm sorry you're feeling so yucky. You deserve a peaceful, joyous pregnancy after all you've been through. Hopefully this passes soon, and you can REALLY start to enjoy this pregnancy instead of just being happy that you're pregnant. KWIM?

xo

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the yucky feelings! I hope they pass soon.

I just read your due date thingie in your left column and it says the baby is starting to form teeth under the gums. OMG, how freaking exciting is that!?

Adriane said...

Sounds like you have terrible morning sickness. That really sucks!! I hope your first trimester does go quickly!!

Tina / Anxious Changer said...

Feeling like crap sucks, especially during such an exciting time such as this. But, it should pass soon...

I really don't think anyone has realized how many food commercials are on TV! It is amazing!

Kim said...

I'm with ya! Suddenly, I'll be starving... but then the mere sight of the food that I prepared makes me sick. I've been sticking with basics, like soup... pasta... and cereal. But sometimes, nothing is appealing at all.

Waiting Amy said...

Yes, hungry but no appetite. Its torture. I'm counting down until 12 weeks, and praying that will be the end.

I have found saltines really do help. If I do a few of them, sometimes I'm ready to eat something more substantial. Feel better.

Maria said...

Dang, all those hormones are not fun. Hang in there and just remember it's all worth it.

Alyssa said...

Katie, I'm sorry you're feeling so yucky, but I'm so glad you are feeling so yucky! I mean, not glad, but you know what I mean. I hope and pray that the morning sickness eases into something more tolerable for you, though. I know it's got to be rough to be so exhausted and nauseated all the time!

Yoka said...

Hope you are feeling better soon and will be able to develop the famous cravings... which stay in your tummy.

Geohde said...

I totally get how so often nothing sounds appetising, even when starving hungry.

Roll on the second tri, eh?

xx

J