Saturday, August 21, 2010

Sleep Deprivation: Day Three

It was not a one-off.

Overnight, Emma has turned into a Will-clone as far as her sleep goes. That isn't necessarily a bad thing in the long run. Will turned into a great sleeper (sleep regressions, teething, and the occasional rough night excluded) at 11 weeks. I can usually count on him to sleep through the night and also take a nice, long nap.

But man. Eleven weeks? That is six. weeks. from. now. That's forever from now.

Okay, I know it's not forever. Will turned two years old yesterday. Two years, people. And it went by in the blink of an eye. So six weeks will fly by as well, right? The only teensy tiny detail is that time seems to slow down when you have gotten 8 minutes of sleep the night before (okay, I might exaggerate, it was more like 12 minutes).

Last night she was actually a bit better, but Will peppered in a rare night of multiple wakeups, so I was up every hour to hour and a half. Today was a busy day with Will's kid party and then my inlaws over for dinner to celebrate, so no rest for the weary.

And now it is night time again. . . hopefully, we'll all get more rest tonight.

It is what it is asked a very good question. She asked if it's easier this time around to deal with the sleep deprivation just knowing what to expect from the sleep deprivation itself. The very simple answer is yes, I am finding it easier, because there is a light at the end of a very distant tunnel. Also, I paced myself a bit more this time and really took advantages of the "sleep when the baby sleeps" rule, which I did not do with Will. I was not as worn down, physically or mentally, when this latest sleeping pattern started. However, it is just as hard to get up multiple times a night and it is just as hard to drag myself out of bed in the morning. But I know it is temporary. I know we will sleep again. I know that I have handled it before, will handle it this time, can handle it. I know that it's just a matter of time and possibly some sleep training, but again, I can handle it. So, yes, it is easier.

1 comment:

It is what it is said...

Ugh. Is it any easier the second time around (just from knowing what to expect from the deprivation...the various ways it affects you?)?

As we contemplate #2, it is THE thing that gives me the most pause.